Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Secret Death of the Electric Guitar

Hey Cashman, first off this smacks of clickbait - a headline intended to incite a visit to the site and perhaps a reaction afterward.
    This tune - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0zGcUoRlhmw - leaps to the front of my mind as i was subjected to it ad nauseam recently - I firmly believe it was "written" on a fisher price piano on the shitter.
    Then there is all the derogatory ghetto rap and mindless hip hop they play late night (on my home for a beer and a bourbon) at a local bar which helps keep my tab low.
    Problem is most all the youngins there know all these tunes and few to none know of anything i offer despite being as current as that dredge.
    The masses are sheep in general. Most accept what is handed them - more so now since most of them can't avoid looking at their fucking phone for more than a minute.
    So following that why take the time to learn to play an instrument of any kind? Music theory? What? That sounds like work- I want it now.
    They called the 80's the me generation, excuse me?
    As to a point in the piece all my gear is used, except for my old boss pedals from 30 years ago. Even Diane's tele that I bought would technically be tagged as used - works for me.
    All of this has little to with costs in the end - it has more to do with how fast can I get what I want - now.
    I'm going to Riot Fest in September - a bastion for punk and post punk - heavy on the guitar side - sells out every year - a breath of fresh air from the past that I will revel in and have fun with guitar fans of all ages.
    Not all of our youth is lost.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mgQg4ze1_KU

http://riotfest.org/
    Last edited by slighter; 06-28-2017 at 10:30 AM.

Thanks for reading!

It does seem like click bait. Click the link, go to the site and the story quickly fades out and is covered by an invitation to buy a subscription. Story might have been interesting. Would have read it if I could have.

Yep, i saw that too. It's the Washington Post which i believe to be very liberal (you'd never see this story on foxnews.. haha) and has so many ads on it, but the story is def worth a read.

Quote Originally Posted by crosstour View Post
    It does seem like click bait. Click the link, go to the site and the story quickly fades out and is covered by an invitation to buy a subscription. Story might have been interesting. Would have read it if I could have.

Yes, I read and enjoyed this article a couple of days ago.
    I thought about posting the article to the forum too, then I thought, I don't want all the old geezers here all riled up and misty eyed about the good old days.
    Thanks for sharing!

Guitar is hard and takes dedication. It doesn't matter what demographic you come from, if you aren't dedicated to putting in the time to meet your goal you never will. That's true of basically everything, not just guitar.

This story is kind of old news, it's just that a major publication took the time to write a current piece about it.

Fender commissioned one of the studies that I believe they site in that article that found something like 90% of guitarists quit in the first year. It's hard odds to be up against when the vast majority of your customers will only ever purchase one product from you.

Guitar is not popular right now, regardless of what music you like to listen to, but if you watch trends, music tends to be a bit circular in nature, and I would bet it'll come back into popularity (even within Pop music) in the future.
    Jason Mounce
    Content Producer
    support@jamplay.com
    877-999-4JAM

Emil Werstler on Active Pickups:
    Pros: you can put them in a 2 X 4 and sound like zakk wylde
    Cons: you can put them in a 2 X 4 and sound like zakk wylde

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by SouthernGuitarMan View Post
    Four chords were enough for Jimmy Page. Guitar Center $1.6 billion in debt.
    Which ones? Maybe I, IV, V in two keys?

I thought the Guitar Center debt was not believable. Only governments can lose that much money. But no, according to Google, it's all due to a leveraged buyout. Someone bought it with money they did not have, just like they did before the crash of 1929. Vulture Capitalism. Guitar Center makes a huge profit every year, just not enough to pay off that kind of debt. Bad news.

But it's not because of any slow, secret death of the electric guitar. Sales are stable, growing somewhat.

The lack of guitar heroes? I don't know. On one hand, guitars are not in the front line any more. Singers are front line, choreography is big, videos are big. In the tune slighter mentions, the video illustrates the story, it has no musical instruments in it. The music in the video is now just the sound track for the video. On the other hand, Taylor Swift was a big inspiration for young girls to take up guitar. I've seen that myself.

Premium Member

I read it too in the Vancouver Sun. I guess markets change,consumer habits change.

HaHa, maybe it's the I, IV,vi, V, who knows. For you to say sales are growing? Source?, Maybe the Washington Post is propagating fakenews, I don't know but there numbers and quote in case you missed it:

"In the past decade, electric guitar sales have plummeted, from about 1.5 million sold annually to just over 1 million. The two biggest companies, Gibson and Fender, are in debt, and a third, PRS Guitars, had to cut staff and expand production of cheaper guitars."

Quote Originally Posted by nwhy View Post
    Which ones? Maybe I, IV, V in two keys?

I thought the Guitar Center debt was not believable. Only governments can lose that much money. But no, according to Google, it's all due to a leveraged buyout. Someone bought it with money they did not have, just like they did before the crash of 1929. Vulture Capitalism. Guitar Center makes a huge profit every year, just not enough to pay off that kind of debt. Bad news.

But it's not because of any slow, secret death of the electric guitar. Sales are stable, growing somewhat.

The lack of guitar heroes? I don't know. On one hand, guitars are not in the front line any more. Singers are front line, choreography is big, videos are big. In the tune slighter mentions, the video illustrates the story, it has no musical instruments in it. The music in the video is now just the sound track for the video. On the other hand, Taylor Swift was a big inspiration for young girls to take up guitar. I've seen that myself.