Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Strap into the seat belts JP - chat is - I assume - under re-construction. Because it crashes everything. I expect a higher volume of wtf?

Jam Chat is giving me very strange results today. When I login using Firefox, I've noticed that most of the buttons, such as the yellow # button, the smiley face button and the youtube button don't work. I also tried to click on a hyperlink that someone else posted, but it didn't let me select it. I also can't highlight it and copy it, either. I was able to select my camera, but unfortunately, I was not able to press the "x" to take it down. The only way I figured how to take it down was to X-out entirely of JamChat. Once I did that, and went back in, it appears that my camera is still on, although if I select it again it doesn't launch. As a result, I can't use the camera any more until it clears itself out. Yesterday when this happened, I think a few hours went by before the camera icon went down.

If I use Chrome, the buttons all work again, but of course, you can't use the cameras in Chrome.

Hopefully you are aware of these issues and they are being address.

Thanks.

Default Jam Chat Update Status

Dear Jeff and JamPlay Staff,
    Can we get an update on when we'll see improvements to JamChat? Currently, we have no ability to control our sound levels the way we used to when we broadcast through the student cams, and JamChat is not functional with Chrome (for most of us, I believe). The private message feature really isn't up to par, since if you private message someone it seems they are very unlikely to see it. I've also heard others say "I wish we had the IGNORE feature," so I'm assuming our current version is missing that.

My computer uses the Windows 10 Operating System, and it just went through the Windows 10 Anniversary Update. As a result, I can't seem to get my external camera to work with JamChat at all, and I can only get the internal cam and the built-in laptop microphone to work. I can't seem to get the internal cam to work with an external sound source (like a Scarlett Interface or USB Mixer). Both of these worked fine with Firefox only before the Update. I am fearful that as time marches on, and Windows updates occur, more users will run into similar issues with JamChat's functionality.

For these reasons, I am very interested in hearing when our current JamChat system is going to be updated.

Thanks,
    Ed K.

Default Hack Registry to Get USB Webcams to Work After MSFT Windows 10 Anniversary Update

I just figured out how to get my USB webcam to work. Apparently the Microsoft Windows 10 Anniversary Update broke a lot of LogicTech and Create webcams. Until Microsoft implements the fix for this, for anyone that needs to resolve this, you have to hack the registry, and instructions for what is needed is available at http://www.techrepublic.com/article/...ersary-edition

Ed

Quote Originally Posted by Ed K View Post
    Can we get an update on when we'll see improvements to JamChat? Currently, we have no ability to control our sound levels the way we used to when we broadcast through the student cams, and JamChat is not functional with Chrome (for most of us, I believe). The private message feature really isn't up to par, since if you private message someone it seems they are very unlikely to see it. I've also heard others say "I wish we had the IGNORE feature," so I'm assuming our current version is missing that.

My computer uses the Windows 10 Operating System, and it just went through the Windows 10 Anniversary Update. As a result, I can't seem to get my external camera to work with JamChat at all, and I can only get the internal cam and the built-in laptop microphone to work. I can't seem to get the internal cam to work with an external sound source (like a Scarlett Interface or USB Mixer). Both of these worked fine with Firefox only before the Update. I am fearful that as time marches on, and Windows updates occur, more users will run into similar issues with JamChat's functionality.

For these reasons, I am very interested in hearing when our current JamChat system is going to be updated.

Thanks,
    Ed K.

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ed K View Post
    I've also heard others say "I wish we had the IGNORE feature," so I'm assuming our current version is missing that.

Thanks,
    Ed K.
    The IGNORE button works. If it didn't I couldn't use the chat most days when my kids are around.

Yup, there is an ignore feature and it does work. Just click on the person's name in the user list and there is an option to mute the person.

In regards to chat updates, they are coming but I won't commit to giving a timeline. Any time we do, other things tend to crop up that will move resources away. Please remember that JamPlay is a breathing entity with development needs beyond JamChat. With that said I've been beta testing with Matt recently on the new chat and it seems to be coming together fairly nicely. We've uncovered a few bugs that need to be addressed here and there for it. I don't know where Matt is on those fixes. I would hope to see a launch sooner rather than later, but again I can't give a strict timeframe there.

To address the levels issue, it's my understanding that with OpenTok you're not going to be able to adjust levels on your end. The reason is because with the webRTS infrastructure it's using everything off of the browser, so your browser would have to have controls for that. There is no media-encoder on the back end to which you can adjust anything individually. From my experience with Matt, the systems tends to auto-level fairly well for the types of testing that we've done. I do know that some of you have pretty intricate setups however so mileage may very there. Basically the crux of that is that you'll likely need to adjust your physical levels on your devices if you need gain or reduction through the system.

Based on how that infrastructure works I don't believe this is something that can be changed without going back to something that is flash based.
    Jason Mounce
    Content Producer
    support@jamplay.com
    877-999-4JAM

Emil Werstler on Active Pickups:
    Pros: you can put them in a 2 X 4 and sound like zakk wylde
    Cons: you can put them in a 2 X 4 and sound like zakk wylde

Sounds good...thank you for the update.

Ed

Jason, maybe my "sounds good" comment was premature. I'm sitting in Nick's Tuesday Night Open Mic Chat right now. I'm using Firefox, in hopes of using the student cam. Unfortunately, since the Windows 10 Anniversary Update, Firefox allowed me to use the student cams for one day. Since then I have had no luck. I'm a pretty frequent cam user. If I can't use the cams, it probably makes sense for me to say goodbye to my late night friends and say goodbye to JamPlay, but I'm certainly hoping that isn't the case.

I am unable to see Nick at all (with Firefox) I am getting the message "Adobe Flash plugin has crashed. Reload..." I've reloaded, rebooted, restarted...none of it seems to want to work. The conversation in the chat window from everyone right now seems to be saying "I can't see Chub--are the student cams working? Should I reboot?" Nick is thinking of rebooting also, he's having technical issues. TNick said "This chat is a train wreck...I click nothing happens...Tele is saying "I feel like a scientist here...greg is frozen." You get the picture. We are all having various technical issues.

Okay, so I jumped over to the Microsoft Edge browser. I can see Nick, but if I click on the student cam, I get a message that says "The Browser does not support WebRTC." Hmmm...look for an extension....can't find one. Himm...thought I read that Edge is supposed to support WebRTC? I guess it doesn't, or it doesn't support our flavor of WebRTC...I don't know.

I jump over to Chrome. Now I can see Nick and GregGP on the student cam...but of course I can't cam with Chrome...what's this? Oh, Nick is saying something about how the technology isn't working for him, he sounds frustrated--maybe very frustrated. I think he can't see the student cams.

...and so the story goes.

So yes, I think "sounds good" was premature. Didn't you say live that maybe we shouldn't have tried to "build this ourselves?" Is there any chance that we can find a solution so that a single browser will will actually work, and actually permit us to (1) see Nick, (2) see other students' cams, and (3) use the cams?

I know you are sick of hearing us whine about this. We're sick of whining about it, too. We liked what we had, and we have it no more. And from our perspective, we see that we now have something that sort of works, some of the time...and it has taken us months to get to this point--or at least we've lived with this half-solution for eight months now.

So what if we have to go back to Flash and a third-party solution? A few years back I asked Matt about Flash versus HTML5. He said "Flash is going to be around for a long time." Okay, we're all okay with that, if we can implement a flash-based solution that works far more often than our present situation, I don't think anyone will care that it is relying on an older technology. If it worked with two plastic cups and string we'd all be fine with it-given that it works.

Nick is ranting a bit more now. "We had something that worked...the sound and image maybe wasn't the best (on the student cams) for many years, but hey--it worked. Now it's busted about half the time. This is hard to take since we were used to a system that worked."

"We've been fighting this battle since February," Diane said.

Boy are we a patient crew.

Sincerely frustrated (on behalf of members attending Nick's chat tonight),

Ed K.

p.s. It was my turn to play on cam...I gave it a try:

Oh look--the cam isn't working. No one can see me. I can't even see me.
    Last edited by Ed K; 09-21-2016 at 12:34 AM.

Premium Member

Nice whine, Ed. None of my Windows computers can run 10, so they will be migrated to Linux eventually. I don't like 10 personally although concensus is that it's good, so I'm not buying a new Windows computer. So I can't help with that.

What is the breakdown Mac vs PC here? From what I see, "all" musicians use Macs. Are Macs any better in this chat room?

If it worked better before the 10 update, I don't suppose there's any chance of backing out the update?

If Firefox worked for even one day, there is some hope there. Rebooting isn't a magical fix for Flash. Reinstall and check all the settings (not always easy to find). PITA actually, and you wonder why I don't like Flash. Interestingly enough, Microsoft doesn't either, and part of their fix might be part of your problem. Maybe.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/30536...ry-update.html

http://www.winbeta.org/news/windows-...settings-users

https://blogs.windows.com/msedgedev/...3iQ3lWCcxqu.97

So Edge is supposed to do RTC ...

One of the joys of working with little companies like JP, compared to big companies like MS, is that they actually listen to your whines