Premium Member

Default Reference Headphones

I am looking to get some good reference headphones. I'm asking this on the here because I need some that are going to do a good job reproducing bass frequencies. I've done a little research online, but thought I'd throw out a line and see what you all are using/recommending. I'd like to stay in the $100-150 range. Thanks!

Banned

I've been using these for about the past 4 years now. They sound amazing, but they're not quite as durable as I would like. I go through a new pair every year like clockwork. I use them at least 8 hours a day though (except weekends), so I guess that's not too bad.

http://www.amazon.com/Vic-Firth-Ster...ion+headphones

I have the ATH-M50 from Audio-Technica...Happy...

I agree with Franco. I've had the Audio-Technica ATH-M50 headphones for over a year now and they've been great. You can usually get them for under $120 on Amazon.

Premium Member

The ATH-M50 is at the top of list for closed headphones under $200. If you want something lighter/open, GRADO SR60's or 90's are within your budget.

I've alway bought Sony and never had problems.....last pair was MDR-V700 bought 12 years ago and still going strong.....

Hello,

I have for ages a Beydynamic DT150.. not the most trendy product, but a strong quality, reliable (parts from cable to earpads can be replaced) product
    http://www.thomann.de/fr/beyerdynamic_dt150.htm

Luc
    Bass : Precision American Std (2009) / Godin SD4 (2001) / Warwick Corvette Std MIG (2007) - Markbass Littlemark 250
    Guitar : Epiphone ES-335 (1970) Cherry / Session Sessionnette75 (British amp 1987) / Godin 5th Avenue Kingpin / Cort L100

Premium Member

Thanks everybody! Those all look like good options. I've also heard good things about the AKG K240's... any opinions on those?

Premium Member

Hey Chad -

I cannot speak for the 240's, but I picked up some AKG K44's from a, ahem, big box guitar retailer for $20. Well below your $ range, so you might find some additional features you desire on upgraded models. But these are quality headphones for the price. My experiences thus far: Pro's: Very clear, and crisp. Long cord (straight), 8ft I believe, can support 1/4" jack or 3.5mm. Cons: Can get hot and sweaty for longer sessions. Bass is not as rich as other headphones, some sound 'leakage' if you are around those who need it to be very quiet. I wouldn't wear them in a library at low to medium levels.

You mileage may vary. Good luck!

http://www.amazon.com/AKG-K44-K-44-H...ywords=akg+k44