Default Bass Gear Forum - WOOT!

What type of bass gear do you use? What's your favorite piece of gear? Anything and everything related to bass gear goes on this forum. Commence!
    Co-Founder of JamPlay.com

Basic Member

Hi Kevin...I just signed up although I was here before, but this time I want to learn bass .....but the problem is I can't get to the Bass Lessons....any advice....I paid an extra $9.99 to get these Bass lessons started but so far no luck...Capo.

Quote Originally Posted by capo View Post
    Hi Kevin...I just signed up although I was here before, but this time I want to learn bass .....but the problem is I can't get to the Bass Lessons....any advice....I paid an extra $9.99 to get these Bass lessons started but so far no luck...Capo.
    You may need to logout then login, but once you do, go to phase 1, phase 2, phase 3, or artist series, and across the top you should see a tab for guitar and a tab for bass that you can use. If you still need help, email us: support@jamplay.com!
    Co-Founder of JamPlay.com

Banned

It seems to me like the gear options out there are more limited for guitar than for bass. I think the classics are still my favs out there - Music Man basses, Fenders, Gibsons, G+L's, etc. Hamer made some awesome stuff while they were still a Chicago based company. Nick Guthrie, the guy that plays bass in my band, plays a Hamer Cruise Bass. It's basically like a much improved Fender Jazz Bass...It's pretty awesome. With amps, the classic brands still seem to be my favorites too - Gallien Krueger, Ampeg, Hartke, Mesa Boogie, etc. I'd like to check out the Aguilar amps though. I've been hearing good things about them. These days I'm rocking a Fender P-Bass through an Ampeg...a little boring but tried and true. The ProCo Rat distortion is pretty awesome...The Boss DS-1 and DS-2 guitar pedals work great on bass too.

I used to be more of a gear addict and always swapping out gear and searching for something new. Nowadays, I have settled in on one rig and have no plans on adding or changing in the near future... My amp is a Carvin BX1200 from the first run of the amp. I run this into an ACME Low B4 cabinet with the Carvin bridged so it's sending 800 watts to the very inefficient Acme Cab... but the lows are incredibly deep. My bass for a long time now has been one of the first Carvin LB70 basses. All KOA body and neck/headstock. The fretboard is ebony. It's the best feeling and sounding bass I've every played so early on I just knew I found the instrument that I would stick with.

I used to be pretty into effects but have come to the realization that I just don't need them. I might run some overdrive via a Sansamp Bass Driver or some fuzz but most effects just mess with the fundamentals of the bass tone unless you are running a rig that has two channels.. one for a clean sound and one for the effected path. I don't play the types of places that allow for this type of rig. Effects are fun for screwing around but that's about the only time I play with them.