PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a budget Bass!

thedude
08-18-2013, 02:20 PM
Hi folks, I'm going to record an concept album and need a bass to record with. I'm not a bass player but I have lots of experience with guitar (bass runs). I was deliberating between few models in the 300$ range including the Squier Vintage Precision bass and the Sterling Sub 4 bass. This would be mostly for recording with DAW and not for gigging. Any advice would be helpful.
Thanks!

mista.snowman
08-18-2013, 02:49 PM
http://www.americanmusical.com/Item--i-ESP-B50FM-LIST

ckolling
08-18-2013, 03:17 PM
Hi folks, I'm going to record an concept album and need a bass to record with. I'm not a bass player but I have lots of experience with guitar (bass runs). I was deliberating between few models in the 300$ range including the Squier Vintage Precision bass and the Sterling Sub 4 bass. This would be mostly for recording with DAW and not for gigging. Any advice would be helpful.
Thanks!

I highly recommend the Squier Vintage Modified series, either Jazz ( more tonal variety ) or the Precison. Both are outstanding, I have both ( Jazz is a 5 string), great pickups and quality. I have a Fender and Musicman Stingray 5, but keep coming back to my Squier VM Jazz 5 the most.

The SUBs are great too, passive pickups, so not quite the Stingray sound but pretty close.

Chris

thedude
08-18-2013, 06:42 PM
I highly recommend the Squier Vintage Modified series, either Jazz ( more tonal variety ) or the Precison. Both are outstanding, I have both ( Jazz is a 5 string), great pickups and quality. I have a Fender and Musicman Stingray 5, but keep coming back to my Squier VM Jazz 5 the most.

The SUBs are great too, passive pickups, so not quite the Stingray sound but pretty close.

Chris
Thanks a lot for your advice!

redzeppelin
11-19-2013, 01:44 PM
Out of curiosity, did you choose a bass? If so, which one? And how do you like it?

harryset
01-05-2014, 11:56 AM
I know this thread is a tad dated, but people are still attracted by the thread title.

I picked up a new, Ibanez GSR200, padded soft case, and tuner for just under $300. Playability was great straight from the store. I have small, untrained fingers, so the slim neck gave me better access to a 4 fret stretch, with my old junker I could barely make a 3 - 5 stretch.

redzeppelin
01-15-2014, 11:34 AM
I picked up a new, Ibanez GSR200, padded soft case, and tuner for just under $300. Playability was great straight from the store. I have small, untrained fingers, so the slim neck gave me better access to a 4 fret stretch, with my old junker I could barely make a 3 - 5 stretch.

That was my choice for a first bass, too, and I couldn't be happier with it for the price I paid.