PDA

View Full Version : Good beginner bass songs?

redzeppelin
07-18-2013, 01:40 PM
Hi, all. Can any of you suggest a good tune or two for a beginner bass player to start with? I'd like to learn and play along with a song now and then to mix in some fun with the early bass lessons. I prefer rock and blues.

Thanks.

snakefinger
07-26-2013, 02:08 PM
Hi, all. Can any of you suggest a good tune or two for a beginner bass player to start with? I'd like to learn and play along with a song now and then to mix in some fun with the early bass lessons. I prefer rock and blues.

Thanks.

Not sure what time period you're looking for but here are a few:

"It's My Life" by The Animals: Should be easy to find tab, pretty straightforward and very recognizable bass line.

"Dazed and Confused" by Yardbirds or Led Zeppelin: The first section at least is fairly simple.

"Badge" by Cream: Another very recognizable intro, stays pretty consistent throughout.

All are easy to find on YouTube.

kevinmd
07-26-2013, 02:31 PM

Thanks.

pink floyd money

mouser9169
07-26-2013, 02:41 PM
What about Broken Wings by Mister Mister?

Nice, steady groove with a bridge in there somewhere.

redzeppelin
07-29-2013, 10:44 AM
Great suggestions. Thanks, all! I remember toying around with "Dazed and Confused" on a band mate's bass some 25 years ago. I learned the main riff but never the whole song.

I've been playing along with Fleetwood Mac's "The Chain" lately. It's easy to play, but there's a slight change in the line during the chorus near the end that I can't work out. The tabs I've found either don't have it or have it wrong.

craigjames4
07-29-2013, 09:03 PM
Another One Bites The Dust

jonnilaw
08-02-2013, 05:50 AM
Can someone help me figure out what the bass is tuned to in the lumberjack by jackyl?

denverperkins
08-03-2013, 01:28 PM
Pink Floyd's Money? Yikes, Kevin. That's in 7/4 time for most of the song. If Red Zep can blow through that one with real authority, he isn't a beginner.

Rock on, Jammers :rockout:

hemantsachdev
08-03-2013, 06:59 PM
I just learned Back in Black by AC/DC last weekend. Got it in 1 session. Little bit of a stretch on the base, but easy enough.

Paranoid by Black Sabbath is another easy one, speed is going to be an issue here. I learned that one in 1 sitting as well, have to work on my speed. Thinking about attacking it with a pick next time versus making my fingers go that fast.

Cheers. I was looking for the same thing - easy bass songs to play, but could not find any suggestions out there, so I decided to figure it out on my own by trial and error. Started with the songs I liked and kind of knew would be easy to play listening to their bass lines.

Cheers.

Hemant

redzeppelin
08-07-2013, 11:12 AM
I just learned "Long Cool Woman" by The Hollies. I've always loved that song, and the bass line is very fun. It has a couple of riffs that were a bit tricky for me to get down, but aside from those it's quite easy to play.

pain995
08-12-2013, 12:48 PM
Most AC DC songs are easy and fun. Seven Nation Army by the White Stripes, Creep by Radio head, Come Together Beatles/Aerosmith would be a couple more that come to my mind.

redzeppelin
08-14-2013, 11:22 AM
Thanks, Pain.

I found another fun one to play last night: "Renegades of Funk" by Rage Against the Machine. You have to tune down, but it's very easy to learn and play.

redzeppelin
08-25-2013, 09:04 PM
I found another good one: "Ball of Confusion" by The Temptations. There's nothing difficult about the song technically (except the D# that pops in there, which I'm still struggling with), but physically it's a heck of a workout (for me, anyway) because it requires almost constant fretting of Bb on the A string while you hit other notes as well. It's a very fun bass line.