PDA

View Full Version : Best Living Bass Player

jbooth
06-13-2013, 12:24 PM
Hey Guys,

Just wondering who everyone thinks the best living bass player is? Victor Wooten has my vote, but I'm just getting into the world of bass so would like to check out the other greats. GO!

mattbrown
06-13-2013, 12:28 PM
Flea

CraigMR76
06-13-2013, 12:52 PM
The first ones that come to mind are:

Geddy Lee, Billy Sheehan, David Ellefson, Steve Harris, Les Claypool and John Paul Jones.

jweele01
06-13-2013, 04:30 PM
Tough one.. I'd probably go for either Victor Wooten, Larry Graham, or Jonas Hellborg. Les Claypool is amazing too, but pretty much a Graham^2. ;)

graeme_h
06-13-2013, 04:37 PM
Mike Watt must be up there somewhere!

Danny.Morris
06-13-2013, 05:42 PM
Mike Watt must be up there somewhere!

check out Willie Weeks...and Oteil Burbridge
Willie plays for lots of folks..you can catch him touring with Eric Clapton these days..Oteil you can hear on tour with the Allman Bros. Band

graeme_h
06-13-2013, 05:50 PM
Did Willie Weeks do some stuff with Pink Floyd or am I thinking of someone else?

mgap
06-13-2013, 08:55 PM
This is such a easy one Chris Squire IS the best of the best. Made some of the best music to this day along side Jon Anderson, Rick Wakeman, and Steve Howe. Played a Rickenbacker.

dj.phillips
06-14-2013, 01:23 AM
Pino Palladino.

gedcoz
06-14-2013, 10:39 AM
Geddy Lee, Billy Sheehan, And Tony Levin

djmike
06-15-2013, 11:41 PM
What dj said... Pino Palladino. Effortless playing with sweet tone!

akijolive
07-21-2013, 06:22 PM
Geddy Lee, Flea and Les Claypool, all really great imo

gedcoz
07-21-2013, 10:31 PM
Geddy Lee

vikingblues
07-22-2013, 05:33 PM
Lots of very good bass players around. A couple of them not yet mentioned are Tal Wilkenfield (good enough to be Jeff Becks regular bass player and still not 30) and Mariusz Duda (Riverside).

jimgarvey
07-22-2013, 07:05 PM
Bryan Bellar!! Case closed !!

Jim

wizard fingers
07-22-2013, 07:48 PM
Billy Sheenan

wizard fingers
07-22-2013, 07:56 PM
Yeah, Being from Buffalo, too, I have to vote for Bill Sheehan..... Whom by the way is on jamplays staff!!

Hello Bill!!!

redzeppelin
07-23-2013, 02:09 PM
Let's not forget the funkiest bass player!

http://www.edroman.com/guitars/bootsy/images/bootsy-collins.jpg

harryset
01-05-2014, 12:01 PM
You can take all of the great jazz, metal and whatever type bass player you want, and call them great. The person I find best is someone along the lines of Marta Altesa. She is an accomplished player, and she has so much, obvious, fun, playing, that she makes you want to play. If not for watching her youtube video series, I would not have pursued my current road into music.

cdawson
01-05-2014, 12:37 PM
Billy Sheehan, but I'm biased.. filming his lessons and watching him play was terrifying. You should see him w/ a 6 string guitar as well, equally enjoyable to watch. He makes the guitar look like a small toy after playing bass.

Then again, if I had one-on-one exposure to alot of the guys/gals mentioned in this thread, my opinion would be subject to change!

Chris

seasonedcitizen
01-05-2014, 01:38 PM
Jerry Jemmott, I'm new to bass myself, I play guitar as well. I wish I could afford both lessons. Play on!

friendl
01-05-2014, 02:13 PM
Been impressed seeing Glenn Hughes and Billy Sheehan play live, both top Bass's

Funk Master
01-05-2014, 03:49 PM
Tons of guys out there but a few of my favorites are Steve Bailey, Michael Manring, Victor Wooten, John Patitucci and for rock of course there's Geddy Lee.

pink midnight
01-13-2014, 07:40 PM
640 She gets my vote!!

rarebird0
01-14-2014, 04:23 AM
Hey Guys,

Just wondering who everyone thinks the best living bass player is? Victor Wooten has my vote, but I'm just getting into the world of bass so would like to check out the other greats. GO!

Yup. I saw Bela Fleck once and Wooten did a bass solo. But just when you thought you heard it all and it was great he sorta jumped on to a different plane that defies description. I've never seen anything like that. I'm 58 and have been a jazz,rock and blues concert goer since age 15. I'm a native NYCer and I've seen a way lot. What Wooten did that night I had no idea was possible.

Dave.v.price
03-29-2014, 12:41 PM
Depends on what style. For bass soloist Victor Wooten. For jazz, blues, and rock Jack Bruce.

72GoldTop
03-29-2014, 10:05 PM
Depends on what style. For bass soloist Victor Wooten. For jazz, blues, and rock Jack Bruce.

prolly Flea for me.....

jazzart
08-30-2014, 01:47 PM
Victor Wooten!

lstelie
10-15-2014, 05:49 AM
Hello,
For me it depends heavily on the meaning of "best", they are a lot of incredible technicians around.

For me a good bas player is someone innovative, good technician, musical, supporting with a limited "show off" presence.

In this sens, among Jamplay instructors, Bryan Beller is incredibly good.
I love its works in the two Aristocrats CDs, the first one issued in 2011 is a gem in any aspect (Govan is incredible, this disk is a moving tribute to all great guitar players, close your eyes, sometimes you ear John Scoffield, sometimes Satriani, sometimes the best of the old times of jazz guitarists.. a gem, and Beller works is perfect, the second is very bad.. and Beller is the only one who really shines (Minemann confuses music and noise and Govan forgot it is one of the best modern electric guitar player to become some kind of uninspired metal guy).

I'm not very found of those who confuse sport and bass.

A few years back I was at a concert with Marcus Miller, Stanley Clarke and Victor Wooten.
If bass was an Olympic sport, it's clear Wooten would be gold medal.. but on the music side... on the opposite, Miller and Clarke were perfect. Both have a real distinctive sound, the tumb hits twice the strings and you recognize Miller, same thing for M. Alembic.

In their respective styles, I would nominate Clarke and Miller

Billy Shean is a immense technician (likely the best rock bass technician), but really to me he seems like a frustrated guitarist who for some reason play the bass, he as a very personal sound and style, but is a soloist among others, not a supporting underlying guy, I'm not really found of him (even if I respect a lot his sound and technique).

My 2 cents

Luc

podge109
10-24-2014, 09:34 AM
Hey Guys,

Everyone mentioned are great players...how about Jack Casady?

72GoldTop
10-24-2014, 11:13 PM
...was so surprised to see her w/Jeff Beck.....she was awesome!

DuaneW
11-07-2015, 09:45 PM
Billy Sheehan

Chris.Smith
11-12-2015, 10:47 AM
Although not technically the greatest player, I'm going to say Paul McCartney. He brought bass to the forefront of pop music with incredibly memorable, melodic bass lines, and also added to the songwriting process.

Of course, my opinion on "the greatest" anything in music is that there is no such thing. Every player mentioned in this thread approaches their instrument in unique ways, and all are valid! It's simply personal preference, and what you as a person connect with when it comes to certain players.

Cheers!

Draff
11-13-2015, 09:08 PM
I agree Chris, it is a personal preference. I can tell you who my favorite bass player is and that would be Paul McCartney. I'm a huge fan of The Beatles and of Paul's solo work, so he would be #1 in my book, but there are a lot of people who would strongly disagree, which is cool.