PDA

View Full Version : How often do any of you practice in-between scenes (lessons) on Jamplay

koteki
06-13-2013, 10:57 AM
I'm totally overwhelmed in a good way with the bass lessons. Currently I'm following Evan Brewer. He teaching style is comprehensible and simple. Because of the simplicity of the scenes / lessons. I find myself anxiously going through them from one lesson to the next. My question to any of you, do you stop and practice and get sufficient before going to the next lesson?

I'm a intermediate player with knowledge of the very basics of bass guitar. Notes, scales, modes, major & minor, etc. Find myself moving a head of myself, and not spending enough time practicing the prior lessons, before moving on to the next one.

How do any of you do it? Practice in between viewing or spend a couple of hours, days on one scene?

Thanks! :cool:

robsommers
06-13-2013, 12:28 PM
Good question.

I got a bit hung up early on when I first joined JamPlay and started working through a lesson set. I wanted to "master" each lesson before moving on, but I also didn't want boredom to set in since that would cause me to stop picking up the guitar. So, I found a happy medium whereby I go through a particular lesson with two goals in mind: (1) That I understand the lesson and what it's teaching me; and (2) That I can actually do the exercises even if it's at a much slower tempo than what's in the lesson.

Once I've accomplished those two goals, I will move on to the next lesson, but I will also continually go back and practice all prior lessons that I have not yet "mastered". This means I'm always in the process of learning a new lesson while also continuing to work on previous lessons until those lessons become second nature.

What this translates to in real-time is me moving through some lessons rather quickly, while having to spend extended time on more difficult levels (difficult to me, that is). But, once again, I only focus on one lesson until I fully understand it before moving on to a new lesson, but I may be working on the exercises from 3-4 previous lessons just to get them ingrained and "under my fingers".

Hope this helps.

koteki
06-14-2013, 11:17 AM
@ Rob, thank you. I've followed those two goals basically the same way. Also, do you go to different instructors before completing a series of lessons. In other words, do you jump around to lesson. Example, Sheehan doesn't do chords, someone else does. If you need to work on Chords, would you go to someone else, while taking lessons with a different instructor?

mista.snowman
06-14-2013, 04:08 PM
@ Rob, thank you. I've followed those two goals basically the same way. Also, do you go to different instructors before completing a series of lessons. In other words, do you jump around to lesson. Example, Sheehan doesn't do chords, someone else does. If you need to work on Chords, would you go to someone else, while taking lessons with a different instructor?

If it was me...definitely!!! :)

robsommers
06-16-2013, 04:39 PM
I have gone to different instructors before completing an entire series, but so far that's only because my interests lie in both electric and acoustic playing as well as rock and blues. So, my goal is always to start and complete an entire lesson series to get the most out of it. This means that I will probably have three different series' in process at any given time and I will spend a particular practice day working on a lesson in one of those series based on my mood that day or what I want to accomplish for that day or week.

It's not uncommon for me to work on an acoustic finger-style lesson for a few days within the Steve Eulberg lesson series I started and then to jump back to an electric lesson within the Mark Brennan series for the next few days. I also started Hawkeye's Blues Guitar series (which is in the Phase 2 groupings) since I'm very interested in the blues genre. I another thing I like to do is to mix in a Phase 3 song just to give me something to work towards that doesn't always feel like a practice session.

What I haven't done just yet is jump between individual lessons from different instructors. It sounds like it would make sense to do that for a particular skill that one instructor may not teach but another instructor does, which is basically what you mentioned with chords and no chords, but I simply haven't tried that yet. It would definitely be nice if JamPlay could categorize and/or group skills like this (open chords; barre chords; soloing; improvisation; etc.) to pull all the various lessons from the different instructors together in one place. I could see how that would be really helpful. Then you could work through an entire series while also being able to get additional information from other instructors for just that one area you're currently working on.