PDA

View Full Version : Bass Practice Routine

alfoders
04-24-2013, 08:00 AM
OK...I'll kick off the Jamplay Bass Forum with a question for everyone:
What is YOUR daily practice routine?

I have a "budget" of ~1 hour a day to practice. I spend 30 minutes doing the what I term "dirty work" - arpeggios & scales done to a metronome read off of notation. After the "dirty work" is out of the way, it's "play time" - playing along with backing tracks and tunes off a CD. This I do for ~30 minutes.

I then try to tune in to an online lesson from Jamplay for new information.

How about you? What is YOUR practice routine?

Al in Orlando

pjplay
05-07-2013, 11:59 PM
OK...I'll kick off the Jamplay Bass Forum with a question for everyone:
What is YOUR daily practice routine?

I have a "budget" of ~1 hour a day to practice. I spend 30 minutes doing the what I term "dirty work" - arpeggios & scales done to a metronome read off of notation. After the "dirty work" is out of the way, it's "play time" - playing along with backing tracks and tunes off a CD. This I do for ~30 minutes.

I then try to tune in to an online lesson from Jamplay for new information.

How about you? What is YOUR practice routine?

Al in Orlando
I am just starting out - I know the basics since I use to play but now I am learning here! Nice site and good lessons. I need to develop a practice routine!

mr mark
05-14-2013, 11:04 PM
I am just starting out - I know the basics since I use to play but now I am learning here! Nice site and good lessons. I need to develop a practice routine!

I'm pretty much in the same boat. Took a few lessons way back, too expensive so stopped doing that after a couple months. Kind of messed around myself for a couple years, never got anywhere. Eventually sold all my gear about 5 years back. Decided a couple months back to try again, bought a used Fender Precision bass, a beat up Peavey amp, and a monthly JamPlay subscription.

Since I'm just starting out again so I need to build up hand strength and dexterity, can't really practice more than 30 minutes at this point without hand cramping up. I'm trying to get into a routine of practicing every day but tough with all the other stuff going on. I think it is important to get into a routine and I'm going to make an effort to really work on this every day going forward, even if I can just squeeze in 10 or 15 minutes (better than nothing)

At this point going through the Larry Cook lessons, up to lesson 11 now. Still at the very basics so don't have too many things I can practice. Purposely not learning any songs at the moment as I tend to get sloppy and fall back to old habits of using incorrect techniques, really want to learn how to do it the right way this time and not take any shortcuts!

Danny.Morris
05-25-2013, 09:30 PM

get loose by doing chromatic's up and down the fretboard keeping fingers close to board..(think economy of motion), play in time!!
pick a song and learn chorus...choruses' are pretty much the most memorable parts of songs, and basslines are considered the second melody...so learn melodic, rhythmic (how the bassline hooks up with the drum part and other rhythm instruments), and then form...is the music arranged in 2, 4, or 8 bar phrases?...if not, where does the asymmetry happen...
next, start up drum machine and improvise...make up new stuff...record, listen back, and learn, discover tendencies about your musical voice as a bassist...tweak any groove inconsistencies...play same drum pattern and jam all over again seeking improvement of previous track!!
cool down consists of chormatics up and down the fretboard again....
happy bassin'!
D Mo

koteki
06-13-2013, 11:05 AM
Find myself practicing spontaneously, not set discipline time frame. When I do start practicing, time flies, thats for sure. I'm taking Evan Brewer's lessons, its pretty helpful. I have taken bass guitar lessons for about 3 years, back in 2004. Got distracted and stopped my lessons (costly). Eventually the bass picked up some dust, and the rest is history. Now here I am again, and I have to admit, this site is god given. It's awesome, much to do. And, its costs less then with an instructor. Don't get me wrong, I personally thing its better with a physical teacher, then a video. IN any case, its helping. :cool: