Thread: Rhythm & Music Time Signatures

Default Rhythm & Music Time Signatures

Hi David,

I just finished lesson #8 and have a general time signature question. How is it decided what time signature a piece of music is written in? I mean is a piece of music written in 3/4 time actually going to sound different than a piece written in 6/8 time? Or even 3/4 time? A beat is a beat isn't it? What dictates the breaking down of measures?

JamPlay Instructor

Very good question!
    In essence, you are right... The song will sound exactly the same.
    The actual key signature when deciding between 3/4 of 6/8 will be determined by the clarity of reading.
    If your song has a lot of 8th notes, it would make sense to use a 3/8 signature. You could of course write it in 3/4, but it would just be a bit harder to read..
    Does that make sense?

Premium Member

Thanks David. Now I don't have to wonder anymore about this.

JamPlay Instructor

the main difference will be the pulse if there are three distinct pulses it will be in 3/4 1 + 2 + 3 + however if there are two distinct pulses in a triplet feel you'd use 6/8 1 and uh 2 and uh each group uses 8th notes but one splits it into 3 groups of 8ths or in 6/8 time 2 groups of 3 8th notes

Thanks David & Kris,

It makes sense and that's kind of what I figured but now I know. I just wasn't sure if I was missing something.