Thread: First!

Default First!

Woot!

Emil - thanks so much for your AWSOME cast Wednesday involving practice/play/life balance, Open Q&A and an insight into the performing artists behind the scenes responsibilities.

I'd also like to thank you for taking the time to break down a good beginner practice plan for me. Its greatly appreciated.

hahaha - Suweeeet! Glad you were the first Shannon.

Free Member (Wimp!)

Quote Originally Posted by ShannonB View Post
    Woot!

I'd also like to thank you for taking the time to break down a good beginner practice plan for me. Its greatly appreciated.
    Shannon -
    would you be able to reply what the practise breakdown looked like?
    or is it unique to your situation.
    Roy

Hiya Roy,

It was really just a general blueprint and motivation to help me get over the beginner blues.

Learn 7 Major Chords
    Learn 7 Minor Chords
    Learn 7 Diminished Chords
    Learn Major Scales
    Learn Minor Scales

Always tune before you practice or play anything. Don't try to learn them all in one day, learn 1 and get it perfect, add another after a day or 2. Just keep adding to what you know. Practice those until they are perfect, don't move one from each one until you have the current one down perfectly. Don't get frustrated! If you do, relax and play something you are comfortable with and know you can do reasonably well. Take breaks but make sure you practice often. 20 minutes a day is better than 2-3 hours once a week (for muscle memory). Never walk away from your guitar for more than 2 days if you can help it. Remember why you decided to learn to play in the 1st place, for enjoyment and fun!

Emil is a font of knowledge and inspriration. He doesn't sugar coat things, tells them like they are and I truely appreciate that. Hope that helps you as well Roy.

Good luck hon!

Premium Member

It was really just a general blueprint and motivation to help me get over the beginner blues.

Learn 7 Major Chords
    Learn 7 Minor Chords
    Learn 7 Diminished Chords
    Learn Major Scales
    Learn Minor Scales
    Ok Heres a questiion about #4, "Learn Major Scales" :

The Jamplay Scales tool for C Major, for example, shows me a fretboard with too many notes to count, extending from the nut to the 17th fret. Does "Learn A Scale" mean memorizing this entire fretboard, or just parts of it, and if so which parts. I'm so confused....

Amd what does all this C scale learning do for my other skills, which., by necessity, would probably be somewhat ignored during the process? Now I'm even more confused.....

Free Member (Wimp!) polk_a_dot_v's Avatar

Usually start with the yellow blocked area. The red notes are the Root.

Take one of the beginner lessons on scales, DMac and David Walliman both have great ones. All of the Instructors cover scales. Usually you learn 'Across' the fretboard (6th string to 1st) then start finding ways to move up and down the fretboard (From the nut to the end). The notes in each scale will typically be unique to the scale. If you play those notes anywhere on the fret board you are playig that scale.

Free Member (Wimp!)

Hiya Roy,

o o o
    Thanks very much Shannon. I will use this - it is right in line with what I need too.
    See you later - maybe in an Emil session.

Roy

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by Polk_A_Dot_V View Post
    Usually start with the yellow blocked area. The red notes are the Root.

Take one of the beginner lessons on scales, DMac and David Walliman both have great ones. All of the Instructors cover scales. Usually you learn 'Across' the fretboard (6th string to 1st) then start finding ways to move up and down the fretboard (From the nut to the end). The notes in each scale will typically be unique to the scale. If you play those notes anywhere on the fret board you are playig that scale.
    Nick Kellie has a first class set of lessons on this which I would highly recommend also.

J

Free Member (Wimp!)

Default Nick Kellie

i like nick kellies lessons