Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Guitar Fu Tabbing Tool

I've added to the Guitar Fu online guitar tools. This time, a simple tab editor.
    http://www.guitarfu.com/tools/tab/

How it works...

Navigate the tab with either the arrow keys, or by using the spacebar to advance a beat and shift + the spacebar to go back a beat.

Click on the desired fret/string to indicate the fret (the cursor matches the string you are indicating on the fretboard.)

If you want to add a slide, full or half bend, you can use s, f or h respectively. For the time being, you have to leave a space for the marker - eventually that will be more integrated in the tab (and take less space).

You can remove individual notes by positioning the cursor over the note you want to clear and press the 'Clear Note' button. If you want to remove all the notes in a beat (column) highlight it with the beat indicator (the tall blue bar) and press the 'Clear Beat' button. If you want to wipe the slate clean. Press the 'Clear Tab' button.

TO share your tab, press the "Get TinyURL" and wait for it to return a TinyUrl which will appear in the text field to the left of the button. Cut and paste than into chat, forum post, email, Twitter.

Please, bear in mind, this isn't intended as a replacement for GuitarPro, TuxGuitar, PowerTab, Sibelis, Finale... if you want to do some serious transcribing, those are still your best bet. THIS is simply a way to convey linear riff ideas though chat and in the forums. Consider it a companion piece to the Guitar Fu Fretboard.

An example:
    http://tinyurl.com/ydu2x32 - a pentatonic oversize I got from Nick Kellie (hopefully it's accurate, that's how I've been playing it)

There is plenty of room for addition and improvement (consider this an open beta phase) and I am open to suggestions - I'll do my best to accommodate what I can in the time I have available. I'll do my best to maintain backwards compatibility going forward, but I can make no guarantee.

Some things already on my list:

* Hammer on and pull off
    * Vibrato
    * Indication of note duration
    * Mark mesures
    * Change width of tab
    * Up/Down picking indication and other technique related marks
    * Some additional musical notation (accents, ties, rests, etc...)
    * Downloadable tab
    * Other things as they occur to me.
    * At some point, I'll expand it to allow larger tab, but for now, it's more suitable for tabbing out riffs... and maybe some scale exercises.
    Last edited by mkorsmo; 03-14-2010 at 01:03 PM.
    "I can't think of a reason why not..."

I like it.

Yet another fabulous example of your skill, Matt. I'm sure this will be a favorite tool right away.

Premium Member

Rawr!

JamPlay Instructor

woah, just made Q&A that much more awesome. Congrats man this is a wonderful tool, is there anything you DON'T know how to do?

Matt - this seems to only work on a telecaster. Do I have that right?

Wow, you've added a lot more to it, since you first released it. Great stuff.

Nice work Matt !
    I would say I am impressed, but I am not.. I knew that you could do this :-)

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jim.Deeming View Post
    Matt - this seems to only work on a telecaster. Do I have that right?
    I think you're on to something there Jim. When I tried it on the Gretsch the strings just went all slack and out of tune. Can I charge Matt for a setup?

Thanks for the kind words folks.

Feel free to kick the tires pretty hard and don't be afraid to let me know how it can be improved (within reason of course... it probably won't auto tab Steve Vai songs any time soon. Probably.)
    "I can't think of a reason why not..."