Premium Member

Talking New to the game - Self introduction

Hey, I was just slinking around the forums and I thought I should formally introduce myself. I have been on here about a month now and I am a fresh newbie on guitar. Anyways, I'm Steve and I'm a medically retired Army veteran. I had a virus attack my heart when I was stationed in WA and at a Jujitsu class. It lead to death, but I was resuscitated by my fellow soldiers & classmates, and then I had intense stocking procedures done in the ambulance and again at the hospital to bring me back. In the wake of that I sustained "major" brain damage from hypoxia and I was sent to the Palo Alto VA in CA to go through recovery. I was, at the time, very much 10 second Tom - I had extreme difficulty recalling anything in the short term or I remembered nothing (more often nothing). At PA, VA, CA I used compensation tools like an iPad/notebook/phone to take notes with of everything, and I did so, so at anytime I could look at my notes to recall what had happened. So I ventured through life taking the best notes I could and I relied on my wife or whatever app I could use on my iPhone/iPad to get me by. Fast forward a bit to now - I have made great leaps and bounds in my recovery and I can recall most things pretty well. This site has given me a way to exercise my mind and given me an outlet for my feelings through music. I have other things of course that have gotten me to this point, but learning the guitar and how to properly read music has been a powerful way to improve myself in a healthy and constructive way. So, thanks Jamplay and thank you for reading!

Premium Member

Wow, that is some heavy stuff to live with. I am glad though that you have something positive to focus your mind on. Always remember though when it gets frustrating, your not trying to be better than anyone else but your past self. I hope to see you around here, I am loving this site too.

Premium Member

Welcome to JamPlay Willy! I'm sure you will find all kind of things on JamPlay to exercise your mind, and there are lots of folks here that are very willing to lend a hand during your guitar learning adventure. Good luck and hope to see you on one of the Chat sessions. Rock on!
    Last edited by MoparRules; 01-27-2020 at 05:21 PM.