Premium Member

Default Need some advice

I have been playing guitar (or learning rather) for 3+ years now....I play everyday for 30 to 90 mins...I love playing. But recently my practice sessions and direction has kind of gone sideways. I have no idea what I should be learning now. I am mostly self taught but I have had a few instructors... I guess I need a practice schedule?...I also have some issues with playing songs all the way through. I know a ton of parts to a lot of songs but I only know a few songs total...

Where do I go from here? I wouldn't call myself a beginner but not sure I am an intermediate either...I know some scales, can strum ok, I like to fingerpick, my bar chords are coming along...I just don't know where to go. I am committed to this....hopefully you all get the picture.

At 3+ years playing what direction should I head? Thanks for listening...

Respect,
    Copper

Premium Member

Hey Copper,

Maybe the first thing to do is decide on what your favorite genre is, and go from there. For instance, if you prefer Blues you'll find plenty of courses on that subject. If Folk music is your preference, you'll find many courses on that as well, etc. Simply type your preference into the JamPlay website search field and choose a course. My understanding is that strumming/timing is the foundation of any song (along with percussion and bass), so maybe focus your practice on becoming proficient at strumming, which you could also combine with improving your bar chord skills. And there are tons of Fingerpicking courses too, as well as courses on "How to Practice".

If your membership included the 1-on-1 Consultation, spending an hour discussing your concerns with an instructor might be an option.
    Another option might be to pose your questions to an instructor in one of the daily Live JamChat sessions.

I'm also in between beginner and intermediate, so my suggestions are based on my approach. I'm sure there are plenty of folks here at JamPlay who have additional/better advice.

Good luck Copper!
    Larry

Premium Member

That is very good advice MOPAR,

I am really drawn to Americana, Folk, and Old time Acoustic Blues. I am currently taking some course on this site now and they have been fruitful. A big issue is I live in the Tampa area and you would think there would be a lot of Americana, Folk, and Blues around here but there really isn't. I can admit I am a little shy when it comes to playing with people I don't know...I will look into my membership and see of there is a consultation with my year...Keep strumming brother! By the way, I have always been a FORD guy (hahaha)

Premium Member

Hey Copper,

I'm the same way about playing with people I don't know, especially if they're really good. Fortunately, I have a few friends who are really good that I jam with occasionally. Oh and, I was a Mopar fan for many years, until 2017, when I bought a new F350 Dually Diesel...totally converted me! But if I can ever afford it, my dream machine is a '70 'Cuda Hemi!