Premium Member

Default Dave (another old dude) in Utah

Help!

I'm new here and to jamplay and trying to find a way to listen to lessons and guitar through my wireless headphones. Thought it might be nice if I didn't drive the rest of house crazy with my practicing (my description). Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by dmcmain View Post
    trying to find a way to listen to lessons and guitar through my wireless headphones.
    Here's one way. Get an audio interface. I use a Focusrite Scarlett 2i2. It connects to the computer by USB. Set the computer audio input and output to it. Plug your guitar into one of its inputs. Plug your wireless base station into the headphone output of the audio interface. Then you will hear both your guitar and the audio from the computer in your headphones. It works very well.

BUT!!! Be aware that any latency in your system will drive you crazy. Bluetooth can have latency. I don't use Bluetooth headphones (there are alternatives) so I can't advise you on that. (although there are Bluetooth systems which do avoid the latency issue).

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by nwhy View Post
    Here's one way. Get an audio interface. I use a Focusrite Scarlett 2i2. It connects to the computer by USB. Set the computer audio input and output to it. Plug your guitar into one of its inputs. Plug your wireless base station into the headphone output of the audio interface. Then you will hear both your guitar and the audio from the computer in your headphones. It works very well.

BUT!!! Be aware that any latency in your system will drive you crazy. Bluetooth can have latency. I don't use Bluetooth headphones (there are alternatives) so I can't advise you on that. (although there are Bluetooth systems which do avoid the latency issue).
    Thanks for the help! I will give that a try

Premium Member

I have not used one, but the Focusrite iTrack Solo looks like another good choice for an audio interface to start with. It's somewhat cheaper and works with PC, Mac, and iPad. And it comes with Ableton Live Lite. Garageband is a bit easier to start with, but Ableton is a very good DAW.

For everyone who is thinking that they are not ready yet to record themselves, recording yourself is one of the best things you can do to learn guitar. When you're trying hard just to play you don't have enough time to evaluate yourself. You might think you are doing well, but listening to yourself later will show all the faults. That's a good thing because then you can try to fix them. Besides, it's fun.