Default Not sure where to start

I've picked up a guitar about 7 years ago, over the course of about a year, I learned a few chords, learned simple licks like Pink Floyd wish you where here, beginning of simple man, a few nirvana songs. Then I quit playing because I felt like I hit a roadblock. I signed up on here and watched a few beginner videos and it was way beginner. Put ring finger on 3rd fret of 2nd string style stuff.. so I went to phase 2, and that feels like it's a little to much. Is there any specific place I should be looking to start at? I don't really mind any genre, I'll play anything as long as it sounds good.
    Thanks,
    Brandon

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by Itsallaboutwins View Post
    I signed up on here and watched a few beginner videos and it was way beginner. Put ring finger on 3rd fret of 2nd string style stuff.. so I went to phase 2, and that feels like it's a little to much. Is there any specific place I should be looking to start at?
    Here's the way I see it. As an outsider, I don't know, but it looks like this. JP brings in teachers and they do courses, but JP does not tell them what to teach or how to teach it.

What this means to us, is that each course is different. No two beginner courses will be the same, not the same content, not the same methods. Which is a good thing, because we are all different too, and we want different things.

In JP's own words:
    "Each of our instructors presents their material from their own perspective, in their own unique manner. This allows you to learn from a knowledgeable, but diverse group of individuals. If you check out a lesson from one teacher and don't quite understand, you can check out a similar lesson from another teacher whom may make a lot more sense to you. We look forward to serving you, and as always, thank you for your continued support as we continue to forge ahead in the world of guitar education."

If it's going too slow, fast forward or skip ahead or try a different beginner course.

"I'll play anything as long as it sounds good." -- that's good. If I taught guitar, I would consider starting with just one note and getting it to sound great before going on. It sounds crazy, but why do complicated things if you can't make them sound good?