Thread: Campfire Songs

Premium Member

Default Campfire Songs

What are some of your favorite, tried and true campfire songs? You know, the ones that get people belting like they are on stage with their bodies swaying back and forth.

Premium Member

Maybe Margaritaville or American Pie.

Premium Member

Thanks for the suggestions. I will give them a shot.

I tried Heartbreak Hotel one night, a little skeptical people would get into it. Well, after some drinks, they were belting it out! Probably the most fun song of the night.

A few others that seemed to work:
    Take Me Home, Country Roads (for some reason, people love to sing this around a fire)
    Hallelujah - I shortened it up so people didn't get bored. They love the chorus.

I haven't tried them yet, but thinking of:
    Forever Young
    Mercedes Benz
    Sitting on the Dock of the Bay (I love the song - just afraid it's a little slow)

I did the Joker. For some reason (could have been my playing after several drinks!) it just didn't seem to go over well. It was like people got bored or something before the end. Maybe this is another one to shorten up or just drop.

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by alelms View Post
    What are some of your favorite, tried and true campfire songs? You know, the ones that get people belting like they are on stage with their bodies swaying back and forth.
    Wow, there are so many songs to sing around campfires, Me and Bobby McGee, House of the Rising sun, Knocking on heavens door, come to mind really quick. Also, for less well known songs, Tom Russell `Bluewing` has a great chorus to sing along to as well as Josh Ritter `Lantern`. I find these types of songs with a catchy chorus lead to sing alongs ....

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by alelms View Post
    What are some of your favorite, tried and true campfire songs?
    What an excellent question! This is just the thing for the beginner going on intermediate, things to play in public -- which is a great way to improve -- and singing around a campfire is a nice relaxed way to do it.

A list of these favorites would be good. There is a songbook for this, "Rise Up Singing" by SingOut! (and a sequel volume). They have about 1200 songs each, with lyrics and guitar chords. It's meant for group singing. The chords are given in a very condensed manner; it takes a bit to get used to it.
    https://singout.org/product/rise-up-singing-spiral/

We've had good success with "In A Town This Size", by Kieran Kane. The odd thing about this song is that it is better as a group sing than as a performance.

Premium Member

Thanks for good suggestions and the recommendation on the book. Another book I found a while back (but haven't used much) is Dan's Big Awesome Acoustic Soundbook. The version I downloaded is 767 pages of songs, a lot of songs. I've hit a couple of them. You can find the book or web version at http://awesomesongbook.com/.

I like the suggestions so far, and I checked out the Rise Up Singing book information. Thanks again.

Keep the suggestions coming! If you let us know your favorite campfire song that gets the crowd going, you will have the satisfaction of knowing that you contributed to someone's good time. And hey, what better feeling that that?