Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Wondering when the last time Jam Plays Website or App was updated

I dont want to come off complainy. Just curious. It seems a little un- intuitive and clunky with navigation.

The website is under constant development, but most of that is behind the scenes stuff. It sounds more like you're talking about the basic layout and functionality. We have to balance updates also with not overwhelming users with changes all the time. I like the super-market analogy. Nobody likes it when they're grocery shopping, head to aisle 7 only to find that the tomato sauce that once was there, is now somewhere else.

We are however in the process of updating both the website itself as well as the app. I can't give time-tables on those, but there is on-going work.

What is helpful is to hear what exactly your experience is with the site being clunky or not-intuitive and how you would make changes. We'll always receive complaints no matter how things are setup, but typically if you can provide some constructive criticism on what you find is wrong along with suggestions for a fix, those complaints become more actionable.
    Jason Mounce
    Content Producer
    [email protected]
    877-999-4JAM

Emil Werstler on Active Pickups:
    Pros: you can put them in a 2 X 4 and sound like zakk wylde
    Cons: you can put them in a 2 X 4 and sound like zakk wylde

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jason.Mounce View Post
    What is helpful is to hear what exactly your experience is with the site being clunky or not-intuitive and how you would make changes.
    I wouldn't put it like that, but since you are open to suggestions...

The buttons in Phase Two that switch between genres and skills are easily overlooked.

I watch the News and Updates section regularly and I never saw the announcement for David Isaacs new course in the Style of the Greatful Dead.
    I guess it's been up for a couple months now. It wasn't ever mentioned in the Upcoming Courses section either. Are there other lessons which have appeared on the site unannounced?

In my experience with the site, there are lots of great lessons but the only ones that get much publicity are the new ones. I think of this like the difference between a newspaper and a library. Few care about old newspapers, but old books can still be worth reading. Libraries invented the card catalog to help find those old books. Those catalogs are obsolete now, replaced with databases and Google. That's where JP needs work. The website itself works; what needs improvement is connecting the users to the lessons they need, helping them find what they need. Which is made harder because the users don't necessarily know what they need.

The Beginner Phase, Genre Phase, divisions don't do it for me. It's a start, but for learning guitar 'beginner' means too many things. I think there should be a more detailed list of things beginners and intermediate players could learn, and then where to go to find them (specific lessons, not the whole course). For example, barre chords. There is a search feature, but it's rather limited.

The Live Course archive needs more organization. Once these courses are no longer active, they should be in the archive along with the other lessons and courses, integrated to make them easier to find.

Finally, Badges. They are great, but the list is long and not very descriptive, so how should someone who wants to try one find one on some particular topic that interests him/her? (when not coming directly from the course they relate to).

Premium Member

NWHY do you have a link to where this new David Isaacs course is?

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by BetThisNameAintTaken View Post
    NWHY do you have a link to where this new David Isaacs course is?
    http://members.jamplay.com/guitar/ar...-grateful-dead

Premium Member

Thankyou

Thanks for some specific suggestions. This type of stuff is helpful. Some of it is possible, some of it isn't, as is typically the case.

In regards to the Isaacs series, this one is a bit of a unique situation as we had planned a larger launch for it much like you see with our most recent courses. However, it was not ready, but people were aware of it's existence and wanted it available to them. So we put it live for viewing. Now that it's live, I'm not certainly it will get the full treatment or not.

There are at times a business decision to not completely market courses or announce their arrival. Lots of different reasons that we won't get into, but we do have a mechanism available to people to be notified directly about new courses. Each Phase section can be "Subscribed" to and in doing so, any time we add new content to that Phase you'll get notified. Typically it's right under the phase section header, as pictured.

subscribe.jpg

In the event that we have to post a series without a news and updates or broader marketing notification, you'll still see as those courses or individual lessons go up.

Specific to your questions on the Badges section, there is a filter built in to the list, so if you aren't coming from a specific lesson, you can still filter by relevant badges that you are looking for. Just above the list of badges is a link to "Show Filters." This will open up a filter option that lets you select things like topic, difficulty etc.

-Jason Mounce
    JamPlay.com
    Jason Mounce
    Content Producer
    [email protected]
    877-999-4JAM

Thanks for some specific suggestions. This type of stuff is helpful. Some of it is possible, some of it isn't, as is typically the case.

In regards to the Isaacs series, this one is a bit of a unique situation as we had planned a larger launch for it much like you see with our most recent courses. However, it was not ready, but people were aware of it's existence and wanted it available to them. So we put it live for viewing. Now that it's live, I'm not certainly it will get the full treatment or not.

There are at times a business decision to not completely market courses or announce their arrival. Lots of different reasons that we won't get into, but we do have a mechanism available to people to be notified directly about new courses. Each Phase section can be "Subscribed" to and in doing so, any time we add new content to that Phase you'll get notified. Typically it's right under the phase section header, as pictured.

subscribe.jpg

In the event that we have to post a series without a news and updates or broader marketing notification, you'll still see as those courses or individual lessons go up.

Specific to your questions on the Badges section, there is a filter built in to the list, so if you aren't coming from a specific lesson, you can still filter by relevant badges that you are looking for. Just above the list of badges is a link to "Show Filters." This will open up a filter option that lets you select things like topic, difficulty etc.

-Jason Mounce
    JamPlay.com
    Jason Mounce
    Content Producer
    [email protected]
    877-999-4JAM

Premium Member

Jason, thanks for the response. I am still confused about the David Isaacs series, for example. I am subscribed to the Artist Series but don't remember getting notified of David's course. I found out about it when discussing it during one of his streaming sessions. I could be wrong, but I was looking for it because he had mentioned it a while ago. Besides, I don't see why it couldn't be listed in the News and Updates section and the Recent Arrivals and New Courses section of the main page.

Here are a few other suggestions off the top of my head. Some of them mirror nwhy's suggestions above.
    • Provide a syllabus of learning, especially for the beginner, and also for stepping into the intermediate world. I see a lot of new members asking where to start and how to progress through the lessons. I felt the same way when I started. There is a lot of quality information out there, but it is overwhelming. I am sure that people have a lot of good ideas on a syllabus. An example for a beginner could be to categorize the type of beginner (i.e. doesn't know chords or have finger coordination), then list a few lessons from different live series to get started (i.e. Weeks 1 - 5 of Guitar 101 with Chris Liepe), then point them to specific Beginner Lessons from different series depending on whether they are starting with the acoustic or electric route. When I first started I had the mindset to work through a particular instructor series. I found after trial and error that I could learn more by doing a set of lessons, not completing the series, and then doing a different instructor beginner lessons.
    • I haven't played with badges much, maybe because they have been too overwhelming. Based on your and nwhy's comments above, I explored them a little. I filtered Easy and Chords to get an idea of which badges would complement learning chords. It returned 36 badges with some interesting names. I know my easy chords and wouldn't know which one of these badges would help me, so I suspect a beginner would have a difficult time picking which badges would help learn new chords. It would take a lot of time away from guitar playing to go through these to see which would help someone's path.
    • Improve the search engine. For example, you get different results whether you search for triad or triads. The search capability also should be able to handle categories of courses (beginner, intermediate, theory, application, etc.) and other multiple search criteria. The search engine comment applies to the Forum also. It is very difficult to find information on a topic in the forum (i.e. GuitarPro, Guitar Pro).
    • I agree with nwhy's comment on the organization of Live courses.
    • The Monthly Giveaway is a great feature. I don't want to kick a gift horse in the mouth, but this section's update can be up to a month overdue at times.
    • The JamPlay Article Archive has some valuable stuff in it. I suspect that putting these things together can be a lot of work. I liked the bios, articles, and perspectives of the contributors. You could consider revitalizing this section, including possible guides to beginners, stepping into the intermediate world, music theory booklets, guidelines on how particular Live Courses complement specific Lesson or Lesson Series, and such.
    • The Phase 3 Songs section has a lot of quality instruction on songs. I am sure this section may cost a little bit more because you have to get permission for the songs. I don't think anything new has been added in a long time (I am subscribed to this section and haven't received any notices of updates).
    • This next suggestion is for the JamPlay members. Many people look at posts in this forum, but there is not much discussion on the posts. If you have a thought on a topic, or are looking for some insights, jot down your ideas. It's a great place to share information. I find the posts very helpful, but it seems only a handful contribute.

JamPlay is a quality site. It is the best guitar learning and sharing site I know. You guys do an incredible job. The Live Q&A sessions are invaluable. JamPlay members are helpful and fun to chat with in the JamPlay section (which is a great part of the site that I wish I could spend more time on). My playing has greatly improved because of JamPlay and I thank you. These suggestions are focused to help us learn and share information while keeping it fun.

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by alelms View Post
    The Monthly Giveaway is a great feature. I don't want to kick a gift horse in the mouth, but this section's update can be up to a month overdue at times.
    I didn't mention that because I didn't want to nag, but yes. Here is a constructive idea.

The current giveaway is still for "May". Entries were supposed to close on 6 June. It is now 15 June and we are still in the May giveaway.
    I think this feature should be scripted so that it is automatically done on time. Even a reminder on somebody's iPhone would be an improvement.
    Meanwhile, my idea is about how to get back in sync.

Close the May giveaway immediately and put up the June giveaway and make the entries (really) close at the end of June.
    Now since that is only a couple weeks away, the giveaway need not be of the usual value. It could be something like a pedal.
    I would suggest a Novation 25 Mini-Key Controller MK2 (which can be used with Abelton Lite, for example as a looper controller, as Chris has explained).

This June giveaway would then be biased towards users who sign on more often than every two weeks (sounds fair to me).

And then we can get back to having the monthly giveaway align properly with the calendar.