Premium Member

Default Multitasking hobbies

I was working out some licks to a song I am trying to learn while brewing some beer. You can see the steam coming out of my brewing system behind me. That called for something swampy.

Premium Member

Nice and swampy indeed. So, is that a steel slide? Have you tried any other slide materials, like glass, brass, or ceramic? I'm thinking about getting me a slide someday soon, but not sure what material to get. I know it's a personal preference, so someday I'm gonna head to guitar center and see if I can try some out. What kind of beer are you brewing?

Premium Member

That's a brass slide. I have tried chromed steel (I started out using a deepwell 2/3 socket, Plexiglass, glass, and now brass. So far I like the brass best for sustain and I do like the sound it makes. Glass seemed like I could get right in the sweet spot nice and easy. Plexi was just too light for my taste. I started out taking Orville Johnson's slide lessons, then I took a few of Eric Matis's lessons, and I took several of Stuart Ziff's. Now I am able to look at how slide guitar players are playing things on youtube and emulate them.

I was brewing a Scottish ale that day. If you are familiar with 90 Schilling by Odell's it is very similar to that.