Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Premium Member

I paid for a year subscription to jamplay and haven't used it much at all. I found that the lessons were not targeted to what I wanted/needed to improve. I like the concept, but the format is too rigid and linear for me. I can't progress faster or slower than the instructor. The videos are overall excellent, but....I don't know how to say this....it just isn't "working" for teaching me to play guitar. I think a real human teacher could do SOOOOOO much more in so much less time due to fact that he or she could literally stop me in real time to correct a problem or demonstrate something for me. I'm going to try to find an online live instructor to do video chat based live lessons

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by zzzman74 View Post
    I paid for a year subscription to jamplay and haven't used it much at all. I found that the lessons were not targeted to what I wanted/needed to improve. I like the concept, but the format is too rigid and linear for me. I can't progress faster or slower than the instructor. The videos are overall excellent, but....I don't know how to say this....it just isn't "working" for teaching me to play guitar. I think a real human teacher could do SOOOOOO much more in so much less time due to fact that he or she could literally stop me in real time to correct a problem or demonstrate something for me. I'm going to try to find an online live instructor to do video chat based live lessons
    I hear you and you make good points, but it's not quite right. It's all about feedback. More on that in a second.

"haven't used it much at all" -- You don't get much value that way. The problem is that it doesn't come to you; you have to go get it. JP has what you want -- somewhere -- the problem is finding it. But there does not have to be anything rigid or linear to it. You can skip around the courses, you can skip around in the lessons, you can fast forward through them at high speed. Then when you find the parts you are looking for, you can repeat them as often as you like, you can play them slowed way down. And no matter how many times you ask the video to show you again, it never insults you or gets tired or costs more money.

But the video does not give you feedback, and that can be really important. Even with the video as your instructor, you still need a coach. It is not an either-or thing, one or the other. You need both. Videos can be much better at teaching. But you still need someone to listen to you and watch you play, to point out things you are doing wrong or could do better. You do not need that all the time, just every so often, depending of course on what you are trying to learn. The videos should give you most of what you need, and the human feedback just makes the (hopefully) small corrections.

Sometimes your friends can do this for you. But here is a big idea for JP to consider. There must be guitar teachers who are familiar with JP. Those who know where to find the right lessons or the parts of lessons that you need to learn what you need or want. And who should also have a teaching plan about what you should learn and in what order, to direct your learning (which JP does not have). They would assign those JP videos to you, and when you have worked through them, they would check your progress, give you feedback, and assign more JP videos. Not either-or, but instead the best of both worlds.