Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Premium Member

I just found the courses, I added the links here in case someone else is interested
    JamTracks:More fun, less theory
    Pentatonic Precision

Is there a way to add the workshops to the MyJamPlay section? For now, I just bookmark them but that is not very practical

Premium Member

Bet,

I liked your idea and applied to it what I’m working on now, which is getting the notes in improvising to fit the chords with meaning, while throwing in 4ths and 7ths throughout. I haven’t tackled moving from one chord tone in a particular shape to another chord tone in a different shape. I can find it and make it sound ok, but I want to instinctively know ahead where I am going on the neck.

I took your idea of playing the lick over and over again. My “lick” (which isn’t very musical at this point) is the 1st, 3rd, and 5th of the chord. I’ll loop a simple I-IV-V with my looper, and then play the 1st, 3rd, and 5th in the different chord shapes (focusing on C-G-E shapes) over their respective chords. Not sure if this is making sense, but it is hard at this point. It’s helping me find my way up and down the neck better and recognizing where those notes fall.

Thanks for the idea.

Al

Premium Member

My comment went into moderation for some reason. I'm trying again but this will be a bit out of order now.

Quote Originally Posted by alelms View Post
    I started organizing my backing tracks, putting them in folders, naming them so I know their style and key, and then decided to put a cheat sheet together of what I thought of the particular track. That's where I hit the wall. I didn't know tracks, I was just moving them around.
    (...)
    Rather than spending my time putting all the tracks into some organized system that I'll eventually ignore, I'm going to play the track until I get it and then add it. This will improve my skills, better my ear, and give me some fun.
    Being organized is a good thing. Too bad it's so much work. If it's too much work, it's not sustainable. Unless you are OCD.

But if you still do want to organize them, renaming files and moving them is a pain. You want to minimize the clerical work.
    Keep the original JP file names, but make a note somewhere, like in a word document or a spreadsheet, about what it is, the file name and location, and where you got it from (in case you want to go back), and any other info you think might be relevant, keywords you can search on later.
    Just organize an index and you don't have to organize the files themselves.

Premium Member

Nwhy,

That’s a great idea, and it fits in with the notes I take when I’m putting something together for the backing track. I played with your idea a little bit and used the linking capabilities of the software. For example, in Word you can insert a hyperlink, so I can click on the backing track name in my index file to open the track.

Here’s an example of what I came up with (I did it in OneNote but I’m sure it will work in Word or any other software). I have links to the backing track, the pdf, and the Guitar Pro files. The chord shapes came from the JamPlay pdf that comes with the track. I also did a quick recording of me playing it so I can pick up where I left off if I want. I also have the next thing I want to do when I come back to this track. I find that sometimes I forget where I left off because I bounce around so much.

Putting this together is quicker than it looks (once you figure out how you want to arrange it). I see it saving me a lot of time because, as you suggested, now I just open my index file, decide what I want to work on, click the appropriate links, and away I go. I can do this while the amp tubes are warming up.

My goal is maximum organization with minimum effort.

Al

Road Ahead.JPG