Premium Member

Default Scales taught in the box(s) method?

I've taken about 20 lessons now including some on scales and I was wondering if there was a more efficient way to memorize scales rather than learning all the individual positions for every single scale 1 by 1 (like the lessons I took so far are doing) so I Googled it and found the majority of people saying using the "boxes" method is the best way to learn scales. I know what the concept of boxes is now and to me makes more sense and I can see how it's effecient but I need lessons on it to fully know how to apply it.

I've searched the site for lessons on it but can't find anyone teaching this way so if anyone knows where I can find them on JP that would be great. If not if someone could give me some direction on the forums here that would be great but a pretty disappointing that no JP teachers teach this way. Or if someone has another system of learning the scales that's different from boxes/1by1 method I would appreciate learning about it, thank you.

Not sure which way you looking to learn them? By notes instead of positions? I would suggest looking into some of the Jazz series, with Jazz the scale etc.. shift a lot so it's more intitutive to understand the notes and notes in the chords instead of positions so you might look in that areas. I think the classical might focus more note names than "boxes" as well. Although I don't like them for scales many people use CAGED for it as it relates the chord positions to scales, I could identify many of the problem with CAGED but I use sometimes.
    Phileos High Energy passionate Music with Heart and a bit of Southern Attitude.

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by palico View Post
    Not sure which way you looking to learn them? By notes instead of positions? I would suggest looking into some of the Jazz series, with Jazz the scale etc.. shift a lot so it's more intitutive to understand the notes and notes in the chords instead of positions so you might look in that areas. I think the classical might focus more note names than "boxes" as well. Although I don't like them for scales many people use CAGED for it as it relates the chord positions to scales, I could identify many of the problem with CAGED but I use sometimes.
    The method of learning scales I'm looking to learn that I described looks something like this
    image.jpg
    image.jpg

I've seen it been called: boxes, box patterns, boxes method etc.
    Not sure if there's another name for it but I can't find anything like it in the lessons here but from my research on more effective scale memorization methods I heard this is a really effective way from multiple sources.

Premium Member

Look up a live series Chris Leipe taught called Fretboard Roadmap, or something close to that. He goes into 3 on a string, which is a different way of looking at scales.

The boxes type method is the same as the pattern method, taught by a lot of people. Sometimes they will refer to it as modes as each box is mode. 3 on a string is type of box/pattern method but using 3 note per string so it's even all the way across and moves up the neck more. Great for speed.
    Phileos High Energy passionate Music with Heart and a bit of Southern Attitude.