Premium Member

Default Starting to Record with Chris Liepe

Is this course going to touch on the simplest ways to record, without editing? For example, how to make a video for a badge? Or basic level equipment such as the Roland Go:mixer or iRig?

Premium Member

For the person who wanted to crack open a condenser mic in week 1,
    this webpage has good photos of the innards and a good description of how it works and why it's good:
    http://www.neumann.com/homestudio/en...ser-microphone

BTW, 'condenser' is an old-fashioned word for 'capacitor'. All mics convert the mechanical sound signal (pressure waves) into an electrical signal. Condenser mics do do it via electrostatic effects, dynamics do it via magnetic effects.

Since the assumption here is that you are recording in a studio, condenser mics are good. But for live performances, especially where singers are known to throw down their mics, dynamics are the default.

As an aside, the lavalier mic (aka, lapel or tie mic) which Chris was using was probably a condenser mic too (or an electret?).

Premium Member

This course will not cover audio/video recording for badge submissions, although that is a good idea for a video! We WILL be covering basic equipment and workflow with that basic equipment in this course.
    -Chris Liepe
    Content/Instructor
    JamPlay.com

I was re-watching the first week’s video. Watching the end section on the “Pro-Tools First” setup. I got a little bit lost during the live session. It appears that there is quite a difference in setting up a session between Pro-Tools” and “Pro-Tools First”. I think this why I got a little lost. It appears Chris accidentally started “Pro Tools” instead of “Pro Tools First” and he is aware of it too, because there is a subtitle that was added to the week 1 video where he states he will discuss session setup again using “Pro Tools First” in the next live session.

Here are a couple of things I have noticed while running "Pro-Tools First" on my MacOS (High Sierra) with i7 Core Processor, 16GB of RAM and 1TB SSD

1. It appears in “Pro Tools First” the I/O session setup is accessed via the menu item Setup -> Hardware
    2. “Pro Tools First” I/O set up appears to be very different on the Mac and might be very different on the Windows.
    *It appears the I/O functionality depends on the use of the native MacOS audio/midi setup control applet. (click on image below)

Pro Tools I_O.jpg

3. It appear that if you turn off or disconnect audio devices and then reconnect or turn them back on the input/output device numbers may change which then makes any prior sessions/projects with the original assigned I/O number refuse to open.
    4. It appears the sample rate also fluctuates depending on what set of devices are connected
    5. Does anybody have an explanation for “Clock Source” and which is the best device to use?
    6. It appears with “Pro Tools First” only “Pro Tools” plug-ins or tools bought at the “Pro-Tools Store” are allowed to function. I had no luck getting BiasFX working. There are quite a few plug-ins bundled with “Pro Tools First”
    7. I have heard many times that “Pro Tools” is the Professional DAW of choice, but I have “NEVER” seen a piece of software crash so much on MacOS in my life. The only time I have seen something crash this much is when I am working on Windows software on a Windows PC. Hopefully the $$$ Pro Tools runs much better 8/

I’’ll be using Pro Tools First” for these live sessions with Chris Liepe.
    If anybody else has some tips or notes please share them in the forum.

The class looks like it going to be a lot fun and during the live session it appears Chris is really excited about the class too.
    Last edited by robdbirch; 02-11-2018 at 08:45 PM.

Below is an explanation, I believe of a few of the issues:

* It appears “Pro Tools First” is limited to a fixed “Sample Rate” of “44.1KHZ”
    playback_engine_sample_rate.jpg
    * The sample rate of an audio interface may have higher rates, but only a “44.1KHz” rate can be used with “Pro Tools First”
    * My Marshall Code 50 has a hard sample rate of 48KHz and would not work directly as an audio interface to “Pro Tools First”
    * On MacOS an “Aggregate I/O” appears to be a virtual audio/video Interface that allows you to interface with multiple audio/video devices through a single virtual interface
    * Aggregate I/O interfaces can be easily created
    aggregate_IO.jpg
    * My monitor/headphones are on a separate USB audio input/output device
    * The input/output numbers only change for the “Aggregate I/O” when plugging/unplugging or turning off/on a device.
    Aggregate_ I_O _numbers.jpg
    * Device I/O numbers do not change if you are using the individual device interfaces directly
    direct_interface_to_device.jpg
    * If I want to record directly through my Code 50’s audio interface (48KHz) it will work through the “Aggregate I/O”
    * Here’s some pretty good info on Drift Correction: https://apple.stackexchange.com/a/90593

A side note:
    I have used Ableton Lite/Reaper and a few others, but I keep going back to GarageBand.

Using GarageBand I never had to deal with all the above crap, it just fricken works.
    Plug-ins, digital devices I just plug them and they show up and work.

I am just a hobbyist.
    I think when I do decide to spend the bucks for DAW it's going to be ProLogic X, I am just thinking it works closely like GarageBand?
    Last edited by robdbirch; 02-11-2018 at 10:36 PM.