Premium Member

Default Electric Practice Bundle Riffs

I spent the last week and a half learning some of the riffs from the Electric Practice Bundle. The riffs are pretty easy to learn for the most part. I was able to learn one in a 20 minute session fairly easily. What is tricky is seamlessly stringing them together. But Chris did mention in one of the videos that was one of the concepts he was trying to teach through this. The most difficult riff in this group was the one with the scratches. I got to where I could play it right along with the wav file, then I would try to do it right after the second riff and strum in the wrong pattern every single time. I finally overcame that, but my rhythm still isn't quite right when tacking it onto the previous riff. This video was made with the backing track played on transcribe set at 85% tempo. As I play it cleaner I will raise the tempo some, hold it there until I can play it cleanly, then raise it again until I reach 100%

Premium Member

Sounds like you're definitely getting somewhere on this!

Check for tuning before you record though :P

Your right hand should be practiced a bit more (some choppiness visible in your picking pattern).

I recommend practicing some string skipping exercises, focusing on just your right hand.

All in all, pretty impressive stuff though! You are right about the timing. But you will improve at playing those quicker lines in time by just playing with a metronome at a slow speed and really locking in. Your timing was pretty good on the slower parts, so it's clearly not an issue of mental capability, but a physical one.
    try counting 16th notes to a metronome, like "1e+a 2e+a", with down strums on the 1st and 3rd subdivisions (the numbers and the 'and's) and upstrokes elsewhere. You'll get the timing down in no time
    Last edited by shiro; 01-13-2018 at 03:05 AM.

Premium Member

Thankyou for the suggestions. I am spending 5 to 10 minutes a day just playing this through now. I am still working at 85% tempo. I won't try to speed it up until it is right. I do struggle with the pick/alternate pick/string skip. I also forgot to palm mute the 6th string on the 4th riff. It sounds much better when I remember that. I will set aside 5 minutes a day for the metronome work you suggested. These riffs look so easy but there is a lot of room for practice if I really want to do them right. And I think what I learn from these will carry over to other things I do on my guitar.
    Also I had tuned the guitar before I recorded. It is always the first thing I do when I sit down to play.