Premium Member

Default More on the future of the electric guitar

https://www.wsj.com/articles/classic...49021?mod=e2fb

It's like someone said in a previous thread about falling sales of the electric guitar, everything goes in cycles.

Premium Member

I misread "classic-rock-is-now-a-young-bands-game". I thought "Classic Rock" would be a terrible band name. Who would be able to find you on YouTube or Google? The band's name is "Greta Van Fleet", named after an 86 year old dulcimer player from their home town.

If you can't read this WSJ article without signing in, you can get to it via the WSJ Facebook page
    https://www.facebook.com/wsj/posts/10156825741838128

"The band's ascent is reviving a question pondered by industry executives ever since hip-hop took over America's youth culture: For younger music fans who see Led Zeppelin, Guns N'Roses, and Nirvana as the distant past, can "classic rock" be new again?"

hip-hop took over

"But rock fans don't stream nearly as much as hip-hop fans do ...... talented, upstart musicians who in previous eras might have tried to be rock stars have embraced rap ....... Meanwhile, the few recent bands to explode ...... are considered pop as much as rock."

new musicians have embraced rap

Maybe, just maybe, classic rock has squeezed new rock out of radio air play. At least Greta Van Fleet is not a tribute band.

I gather from the article that what makes Greta Van Fleet different is that they grew up in a time-warp.
    Last edited by nwhy; 10-30-2017 at 12:07 AM.

Premium Member

Benny from ABBA has some comments about music today. In fact he does not think ABBA would be successful now.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz...ying-safe.html

<blockquote>
    He argues that creativity is now being stifled because music is composed 'by committee', resulting in unmemorable songs topping the charts.
    Asked whether, in today’s industry, ABBA might not have found success, he said: 'Yes, very possible. We were lucky to be in the 70s.'
    While he has always composed at the keyboard, valuing the freedom to 'make mistakes', he questions today’s approach: 'Music is now created by committee in a way. One guy’s doing a nice rhythm track, another one is doing a bass line, a third one is doing some nice synthesiser sounds... And the last thing that happens is that someone is trying to write a melody on top of whatever is on there'.
    </blockquote>

I’m not sure I agree with that, unless he means that music now is written in the studio. Instead of being written and then produced, writing and production are mixed up. If that is what he means, I can believe that’s part of rock’s problem too.
    Last edited by nwhy; 11-02-2017 at 09:09 PM.

Premium Member

I do believe creativity in general is at an all time low. Just my opinion. I see it in movies that are remakes. A lot of music is being remade. And the rising popularity of tribute bands. I kind of saw it coming in the 80s, most toys were action figures of cartoons kids were watching on TV. Instead of their own games of pretend kids were reenacting the cartoons with their toys. Again just my opinion no science here.

Hip Hop has been taking over though. Even as a teenager in the late 80's and early 90's listening to Pantera, G&R, Ozzy and Metallica, the mainstream was listening to MC Hammer, Vanilla Ice and then 2pac, Biggie and Jay Z.

I do not believe the guitar is dying. I believe that companies like Gibson and Fender have become so ridiculous with prices that more people are embracing the used market. A Mexican Stratocaster used to cost around $300. Now they cost $600 to $800. Why would I spend that when I can get a used American or Japanese guitar for that price or cheaper? People aren't shopping at Guitar Center anymore. They are shopping on Ebay, Reverb, Craigslist and Facebook. My rig brand new through Fender would cost $2300. Well closer to $2500 actually because the hard shell case is no longer included. Not to mention the new ones aren't as good. Meanwhile I paid $600 for the amp and guitar with the case.
    Last edited by [email protected]; 11-30-2017 at 10:23 AM.

Default Cost of guitars

Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    Hip Hop has been taking over though. Even as a teenager in the late 80's and early 90's listening to Pantera, G&R, Ozzy and Metallica, the mainstream was listening to MC Hammer, Vanilla Ice and then 2pac, Biggie and Jay Z.

I do not believe the guitar is dying. I believe that companies like Gibson and Fender have become so ridiculous with prices that more people are embracing the used market. A Mexican Stratocaster used to cost around $300. Now they cost $600 to $800. Why would I spend that when I can get a used American or Japanese guitar for that price or cheaper? People aren't shopping at Guitar Center anymore. They are shopping on Ebay, Reverb, Craigslist and Facebook. My rig brand new through Fender would cost $2300. Well closer to $2500 actually because the hard shell case is no longer included. Not to mention the new ones aren't as good. Meanwhile I paid $600 for the amp and guitar with the case.
    Disagree. You can buy a Jimi Hendrix strat on sweet water right now for 899