Premium Member

Default Good acoustic with great playability?

Looking over my guitars and I just realized that my only acoustic guitar I have is my old Fender that I bought when I was first learning that has the strings like 2" (lol) above the fretboard.

Not looking to spend a fortune but what's a good acoustic with great playability in the $1500 range (looking to keep it below $2000)

I bought a Martin 0015M for that price range about a year ago and I love it. Its a smaller body than the dreadnoughts you may be used to so it doesn't have a big booming base and probably a little less volume overall, but to be honest I don't notice that. I mostly play around the house and its a very comfortable guitar for that. I think I prefer the smaller body guitars now seeing as how I hardly ever touch my old dreadnought anymore.

Premium Member

I can't say enough good things about Larrivee guitars. They offer some great options in that price range.
    Martin 000-28EC
    Larrivee D-04

Premium Member

If your budget is $1500 to $2K I'm sure you can find something very nice. The Taylor guitars that I have tried were excellent for playability. Of course, you can't go wrong with a Martin also.

Most importantly, the guitar must feel good in your hands. What feels good to me may not feel good to you at all. It's like finding the girl who's right for you. You'll just know it when you wrap your arms around her.

Premium Member

I have to second the Taylor line of guitars. I have a 6 and a 12 and I love them both. Your mileage may vary but I would suggest you give them a try!

In that price range, I be looking a Taylor or Martin. Personally I don't like Taylor's all the much but they are great guitars. They just have a distinct tone I'm not a huge fan off. People think of Martin as the bluegrass guitar but really like already said they offer a lot more than just the dreadnought.
    Phileos High Energy passionate Music with Heart and a bit of Southern Attitude.

Premium Member

Personally I have always leaned toward Gibson and own a few of them..AJ, Deluxe Songwriter and Hummingbird. All of these are outside the range you want to spend. Recently I picked up a Yamaha LS-TA. It has built in reverb and chorus and came in at 1200 Canadian. I would suggest you at least try one out. Good price and with the built in effects and pick-up it provides pretty good value for the buck. Try a few of them as I find Yamaha is a bit inconsistent in the bass response but was happy to find one that had good bottom end. I would also recommend checking out reviews on-line as many folks have opinions on different guitars and models. Guild also makes good products and noticed it wasn't listed above. As someone with a bad case of GAS (guitar acquisition syndrome) I hope you find one that works for you and that you can enjoy, I use all of mine regularly and find each has its own niche.