Premium Member

Default Guitar Pro vs Transcribe

I just started on my 30 day free trial with Guitar Pro. I am not sure what to do with it. What does it do for the guitar student that the software Transcribe does not do?

I see GuitarPro as a composition, music writing tool. Documenting a piece music using musical notation and tablature. Also, it can play back the music using midi as your are documenting it.

I find it really awesome that JamPlay provides both PDF's and Guitar Pro files.
    UltimateGuitar has quite few tabs documented using GP.

Transcribe provides lots of great tools for helping a person learn a song by ear, or just riffs. If you want to document a song you just learned by ear using transcribe you can use GP to document what you heard.
    Last edited by robdbirch; 09-04-2017 at 02:32 PM.

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by robdbirch View Post
    I see GuitarPro as a composition, music writing tool. Documenting a piece music using musical notation and tablature. Also, it can play back the music using midi as your are documenting it.

I find it really awesome that JamPlay provides both PDF's and Guitar Pro files.
    UltimateGuitar has quite few tabs documented using GP.

Transcribe provides lots of great tools for helping a person learn a song by ear, or just riffs. If you want to document a song you just learned by ear using transcribe you can use GP to document what you heard.
    Thankyou for your reply. How do you input what you have heard into GP? I learned quite a bit of Samba Pa Ti and tried to write it all down so I would have it if I ever forgot it and wanted to relearn it. That was a daunting job that I gave up on. Would I have to have a mic on my computer to input what I was playing into GP?

Quote Originally Posted by BetThisNameAintTaken View Post
    Thankyou for your reply. How do you input what you have heard into GP? I learned quite a bit of Samba Pa Ti and tried to write it all down so I would have it if I ever forgot it and wanted to relearn it. That was a daunting job that I gave up on. Would I have to have a mic on my computer to input what I was playing into GP?
    YouTube tutorials can do so much better than I could describe.
    it's kinda like learning how to use MS Word as your first word processor: https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...pro+7+tutorial

All you want to do is write a thank you letter, but you have the equivalent of a typographical aircraft carrier.

Premium Member

I have owned Guitar Pro for over a year. I've been playing guitar for a few years now, so I'm new at it. Guitar Pro helps me keep my music, licks, and ideas organized. It's helped me a lot there.

More importantly it helps me practice. I download a GP file from a JamPlay lesson, transcribe from the supplemental material if no GP file, or write it out if I need to. I can then listen to the score and play with the score. Playing with the score gives me a lot of options. I can vary the beat, starting slow to learn and speeding it up as I need to. I also can isolate parts of the score and play just those parts over and over until I get it.

There's a learning curve and I spent a lot of time learning how to use Guitar Pro. It was worth it. Their website has great tutorials.

I know there is a lot more you can do with Guitar Pro such as download songs, but it does what I need it to do.

I got my money's worth.

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by BetThisNameAintTaken View Post
    How do you input what you have heard into GP? I learned quite a bit of Samba Pa Ti and tried to write it all down so I would have it if I ever forgot it and wanted to relearn it. That was a daunting job that I gave up on. Would I have to have a mic on my computer to input what I was playing into GP?
    GP is good for writing it all down. I have GP6 and now GP7 and I am happy with them, with a few quibbles.

For the .gpx files that JP gives us (thanks!), you only need to use the playback features.
    GP has sound files for that. Some of them are really grating (vocals); the advanced users can make the playback sound really nice.

For writing (tabs or notation), there is a learning curve; you need to get used to its way of doing things, then it's simple enough. You set the duration value of the note or notes and that sticks until you change it. Then you enter the notes' scale vaues, using the computer keyboard, either on the notation scale or on the tabs. You can edit and adjust everything later.

You can't enter notes from your guitar using a mic. You can with a MIDI. I have not tried that and it's still only an entry tool, it doesn't capture notation while you play something.
    This video may give you an idea of how that works:
    https://youtu.be/sXS2-KK5mE8

Once you get the song in, it prints out really nicely.

My biggest quibble is that it thinks in terms of bars or measures. It even keeps track that your measures have the proper number of notes in them. Which is fine. The problem is that I would like to enter the notes by their scale values first, then adjust the notes for their durations afterwards. Which it could do just by moving the bars, but it doesn't, as far as I know. There is a tool for that, but sometimes it just makes more of a mess.

Another quibble is that it numbers the bars, which is fine, but there is no user control over how it numbers.

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by nwhy View Post
    GP is good for writing it all down. I have GP6 and now GP7 and I am happy with them, with a few quibbles.

For the .gpx files that JP gives us (thanks!), you only need to use the playback features.
    GP has sound files for that. Some of them are really grating (vocals); the advanced users can make the playback sound really nice.

For writing (tabs or notation), there is a learning curve; you need to get used to its way of doing things, then it's simple enough. You set the duration value of the note or notes and that sticks until you change it. Then you enter the notes' scale vaues, using the computer keyboard, either on the notation scale or on the tabs. You can edit and adjust everything later.

You can't enter notes from your guitar using a mic. You can with a MIDI. I have not tried that and it's still only an entry tool, it doesn't capture notation while you play something.
    This video may give you an idea of how that works:
    https://youtu.be/sXS2-KK5mE8

Once you get the song in, it prints out really nicely.

My biggest quibble is that it thinks in terms of bars or measures. It even keeps track that your measures have the proper number of notes in them. Which is fine. The problem is that I would like to enter the notes by their scale values first, then adjust the notes for their durations afterwards. Which it could do just by moving the bars, but it doesn't, as far as I know. There is a tool for that, but sometimes it just makes more of a mess.

Another quibble is that it numbers the bars, which is fine, but there is no user control over how it numbers.
    Thankyou. I always find your posts thorough and informative.

Premium Member

After playing around Guitar Pro for a few days I have decided to buy it when my trial runs out. I don't see me ever writing music, but who knows? But I do plan on taking lessons on jamplay for years to come. And I am finding it extremely useful in the "Speaking in Rhythms" course. I have been playing around using it to break down one of Marcelos lessons. I actually believe I MIGHT be able to learn his version of Black Bird over a period of several months using this software and watching his videos. I think both this software and transcribe have useful purposes for me. I do plan on sitting down and learning how to input songs I learn from youtube videos on transcribe, so I will always have them to refer back to in the future. I will do that this winter when I am shut indoors because of the weather.