Premium Member

Default Strum it Up Week 5 - Bo Didley

I am having a bit of a mare with this lesson and now I have watched the lesson for the third time I need to ask for some help.

Once I can understand the strum pattern then I think I will get it. I don't really know how to explain what I think the strum pattern should be as I have an arrows graphic in MS word but there is some hitch with my browser setting which is pasting gibberish into this thread. I am also not able to attach the document so her goes:

DownStrum up down Upstrum down up DownStrum up down up Downstrum up Downstrum up down up

Hope this make sense to someone besides me.

Quote Originally Posted by CNP View Post
    I am having a bit of a mare with this lesson and now I have watched the lesson for the third time I need to ask for some help.

Once I can understand the strum pattern then I think I will get it. I don't really know how to explain what I think the strum pattern should be as I have an arrows graphic in MS word but there is some hitch with my browser setting which is pasting gibberish into this thread. I am also not able to attach the document so her goes:

DownStrum up down Upstrum down up DownStrum up down up Downstrum up Downstrum up down up

Hope this make sense to someone besides me.
    I am also taking this class as a student, but I will offer my thoughts.

The rhythm appears to repeat with one bar showing 4 beats, so I would start as 4/4 time. strumming with 1/16th notes (1 e n a ) is 1 beat of 1/16th notes. this is how I would count it. realize that the 1st and second notes are a dotted eighth which is 1.5 times the eighth note length, and this is followed by a 1/16th note to complete the single beat. - thats probably what the issue is with your document of this. I rely on the .pdf version as it seems to be of best resolution of any of the graphics versions on the supplemental pages.

Each note ,or rest, is in parenthesis.

1st beat: dotted eight (1 e n ) followed by a 1/16th (a): (1 e n ) (a )
    2nd beat: two 1/8th notes (2 e ) (n a )
    3rd beat: 1/8th rest (3 e ) followed by 1/8th note (n a )
    4th beat: 1/4 note (4 e n a )
    next bar repeats this rhythm.

- correct me if I'm our to lunch on this, if its good have a coffee on me.

Cheers!

Not changing my answer, but it seems that its necessary to take some artistic liberty to play the Bo Diddly rhythm as I see no way to count this at speed anyway. It seems that is what Chris means by 'interpreting' and feeling the groove.
    Last edited by [email protected]; 10-04-2017 at 10:34 PM. Reason: after further review... just go with the flow.