Default Ready made all-in-one-pedalboard multi EFX Line 6 Helix or Headrush?

So I was gonna expand the pedal board, with a looper stomp switch and some new noise. Then I realized I would also need D.I box, a pedaltrain, new power supply and even a case. Well the money goes out quickly if I continue on this path.

So I am currently considering spending a little extra and get either a Helix, Helix LT or a Headrush. One pedalboard to rule em all. The Helix got small screens above each stomp button and got room for adding the pedals I already got should I feel the need for that. And seems there are a little extra like running vocal over the Helix as well. Helix LT is a cheaper version.

Headrush seems to be easier to use and setup with a more user friendly screen where icons are dropped and dragged or moved like we know from out tablets and phones. It also allow for hardware pedals to be added.

Headrush and Helix LT are both around the 1.000$ mark, Helix floor 1400. But a purchase will sting a little financially, so I would hate to get the wrong one and feel like I am missing out after spending all that money on a multi effect pedalboard. And if anyone has used either one of these I would like to hear what you think, how well they work and if some even tried both of those that would be even better to hear first hand what was the best features and strongest points of each of those. Are there possible other candidates to consider as well for the 1.000-1500 $ price range? I never considered hi priced gear like this before so I have never paid any attention to what is really out there or even how these multi effects boxes really performs and function for daily usage.

Is there anything obvious that set these three apart? Is there any difference in Loop function between them? What about input/output?

I read somewhere that the Helix Floor can have multiple inputs running at the same time with separate effects for each input all inputs running at the same time. For instance mic in, bass in, guitar in to the Helix and they can all run simultaneous, is Helix Floor the only one that can do this? What about the Headrush?

I think if I get me one of these I will use it both at home practicing and when practicing with the band. I've watched several videos of these, and from what I can see they all can do everything a well designed hardware pedalboard can do and then some. Seems Helix Floor and Headrush got the highest sound quality.

I am sure many analog fans will think I am crazy, but will the sound quality be as good as from an analogue pedal board?
    Last edited by slope; 07-30-2017 at 04:28 AM.

Is any of these capable of having multiple users hooked into the pedalboard at the same time? Like if the bass player would like one specific sound but does not need to change his sound during the set list, could he be plugged into either of these at the same time as my guitar is looped into the board? I would need to do changes during songs, but hey thats what the stomp pedals are there for. What about the singer. Could we route a mic into the pedalboard as well on the same time?
    The Line6 Helix is capable of up to four simultaneous connections, 4 instruments or a combination with instruments and vocals and they all get their own rig. Seems even more instruments could be added by using the SEND/RETURN.

And could I use an out channel from the mixer into the pedalboard to get the level right for in ear monitoring? I know both of these can do ie mp3 playback and one can set the mix for the headphone out so that one find the right mix between mp3/backing track and the guitar. So that got me thinking maybe if bass and vocal also went into the pedalboard I could use the headphone out as signal for a cheapo solution for in ear monitoring? A solution where I only would need one of the cheaper wireless in ear monitor system, like those 200$ ones. Possible? Anyone done something like that with any of these pedalboards?
    This becomes kind of moot now that I know I can add more instruments and even mics to the Helix. Then I can take the signal from the Helix to setup a nice mix that I can have in my ear so I hear my guitar and voice over lead singer and other instruments.

From what I have found the Headrush can not do this. So this alone seems to be worth the extra money for the Helix.
    Last edited by slope; 07-31-2017 at 01:58 PM.

I have POD HD500x and not the Helix. The Helix is the newer better unit than the POD, however the setup is similar. But to answer your last question. Yes it can take two inputs into separate paths. BUT I highly doubt you want to use these units this way. You would have to do a lot of tweaking to get the outputs working the way you describe, the idea of the multiple paths are to emulate things like using a dual amp type of tone or using multiple effects paths. The MP3 input is usually pretty decent for playing along with a MP3 with guitar. For the Helix full capability I recommend asking on the Line6 discussion boards (http://line6.com/support/forum/86-helix/). Of course they will tell you Helix is the greatest thing since sliced bread but they could give you the best details on it's full capabilities.
    Phileos High Energy passionate Music with Heart and a bit of Southern Attitude.

Yeah I was kind of avoiding the line6 forum for that very reason. Thinking I would get more unbiased answer here. Also the fact that it is hard to choose between line 6 and headrush made me choose this forum.

Yeah thinking about what you said I guess I was too caught up with the idea of an all-in-one pedal board and wanting it to be everything for all of us. I guess the bassist just as easy can continue using his analoge pedals. The vocal still could benefit from being looped into the pedal board I guess. But I should focus more on what headrush or helix can do for me and the guitar.

We don't have a full blown monitoring system that let us take all channels out from the mixer into a backbone for monitoring, and from there to each in-ear-monitoring system. Nor will we get a full system because they are complex, large and expensive. Will have to think up something new for the in-ear-monitoring I guess.

The Line6 Helix forum would be a good place just to ask about what it's capable of though, might ask similar questions on Headrush if they have a forum. As for the sound, personally I'm running a Line6 Dream Rig (Variax, HD500x, and DT25 amp) but looking to going back all analog. Don't get me wrong the digital gear is great bang for the buck but to my ears it sounds close but just missing something the analog gear has. I don't regret going digital. I learned a lot about effects, amps, mics and gear in general by having the ability to digitally play with the setup and with amps and pedals I could not afford personally. And for recording it's great. If I do go back analog, I will still keep a POD or something of the sort around for practicing with headphones and recording flexibility.

For your monitoring setup what is your requirements? Do you need multiple mixes for each person? Or can you live with one mix? Really think of what you needs for PA system is exactly (monitoring, how many inputs, effects, just for vocals? etc...), and then you can layout what gear fits your budget. With a Helix you might be able to get by with a output to get the vocal done. You still need a way to amplify the vocal. You could get by with active speaker or poweramp using the Helix for the vocal preamp on a different path from your guitar signal. But then again some active speaker cab have XLR input and small preamp. If you manually mixed your levels in the room, by manual I mean controlling the volume on each guitar/bass amp and making any drummer not kill the set, you might get your vocals heard with that. Of course you likely only have one or maybe 2 mics using only an active speaker, but it could be done. Now there is no monitoring at all with that, just listening the mains and controlling levels, or kicking speaker towards you a bit and keeping mic gains low enough to avoid feedback.

Most mixers have a Aux send you can use to send to a wireless transmitter or some type of headphone/in-ear amp if you can live with one mix. You use the Aux send levels on each channel to setup the mix, which will be separate from your front of house mix. There are some good boards out there that are not crazy priced these days.

We use a Behringer XR18 (about $600 USD). It's a digital mixing board, although you need a tablet or laptop along with the unit to run the mixer. You have all the effects etc... you need, just need power amps and speakers (or active speakers). However; like digital guitar gear there is a bit of learning curve with it. It has 6 Aux sends on it. When we started I used 4 wedge monitors each with it's own mix. After a while I found that hard to maintain all those separate mixes and now we use 2 monitors up front with one mix and wired in-ear for our drummer with his own mix. We are looking to go in-ear ourselves but can't afford it at the moment as we need wireless in-ear for 3 of us.
    Phileos High Energy passionate Music with Heart and a bit of Southern Attitude.