Premium Member

Default Old geezer and new fangle gadget

Last March a friend of mine recommended I get a Korg CA-40 tuner. It is a great little tuner, it has a jack where I can plug in my guitar cord so I don't have ambient noises interfering with my tuning. Or it has a mic mode. Or it has a button I can push and it makes an A drone.

Lately my guitar has sounded a little off with my backing tracks. I have tuned it, checked the intonation, and tuned it again. I was beginning to think there was something wrong with my guitar. Finally when I tuned it I had both my Korg and my G Strings app on my phone on. They did not match. When I tuned to the phone my guitar sounded great.

So now I am wondering if the calibration goes off as the batteries die or if I ruined it when I dropped it a while back. I contacted my friend. He said see the button marked "cal"? Push that and tell me the number you see in the upper left hand corner. I told him it was 458. He said set it to 440, try it, and let me know what happens.

By dingie that fixed my tuner. Now I feel foolish and happy all at the same time.

Glad you got your tuner fixed. I was unaware of that little trick, so thanks for your post!

Yep, most tuners have the capability to change the reference pitch for those that want to tune a different pitch. For my group we tune half flat, although I use normal chromatic tuners and adjust to tuning to Eb or D# instead of E. But if you wanted to do say 432 hz instead which is common one some believe is more natural than 440hz and you need a tuner with that capability.

https://youtu.be/Rt3EAPDn-Ug
    Phileos High Energy passionate Music with Heart and a bit of Southern Attitude.

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by crosstour View Post
    Glad you got your tuner fixed. I was unaware of that little trick, so thanks for your post!
    That was why I posted about this. So others wouldn't make the same mistake I did.

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by palico View Post
    Yep, most tuners have the capability to change the reference pitch for those that want to tune a different pitch. For my group we tune half flat, although I use normal chromatic tuners and adjust to tuning to Eb or D# instead of E. But if you wanted to do say 432 hz instead which is common one some believe is more natural than 440hz and you need a tuner with that capability.

https://youtu.be/Rt3EAPDn-Ug
    That video was fascinating.