Premium Member

Default Quieting strings

I have used the search function without luck. When I look up string muting I find muting for the purposes of rythm but not for the purpose of eliminating string noise. I have been struggling to mute the strings I don't want to make noise while I am playing. Are there any lessons that give technique tips in how to do this?

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by BetThisNameAintTaken View Post
    I have used the search function without luck. When I look up string muting I find muting for the purposes of rythm but not for the purpose of eliminating string noise. I have been struggling to mute the strings I don't want to make noise while I am playing. Are there any lessons that give technique tips in how to do this?
    David Wallimann has a lesson and an exercise for this in his Phase 1 Basic Electric Guitar series

http://members.jamplay.com/guitar/ph...ying-technique

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by terrym View Post
    David Wallimann has a lesson and an exercise for this in his Phase 1 Basic Electric Guitar series

http://members.jamplay.com/guitar/ph...ying-technique
    Thankyou. I am on my way there now.

Premium Member

EXACTLY what I was looking for. Thankyou

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by BetThisNameAintTaken View Post
    EXACTLY what I was looking for. Thankyou
    You're welcome

I don't agree with Dave's technique for holding the pic but like he said, whatever works for you.

He nails it on muting with both the left hand fingers and palm muting with the right hand to clean up the playing and eliminate noises.

One tip I didn't see him cover. Practice this with a lot of gain. More than you would likely use for real performance. The reason is the extra gain will bring out brings out the string noise more so you can hear them. Once you get it fairly clean when you dial it back down you hear the noises less and have improved at the gain level you normally play. The drawback is the extra gain can cover up where your hands are not in-sync as well and missing the main note as much. So I always found it was good to practice sometimes with a lot of gain and sometimes on a totally clean setting. Lots of Gain for finding any extra noises I'm not muting correctly. Totally clean to make sure I'm hitting my main note right.

One exercise I saw from Paul Gilbert. Choose one note on the guitar. Now fret that note and hit all six strings and hit it hard, like almost windmill style where you really can't avoid the pic hitting the other 5 strings. Do you hear any notes beside the one you intended? Now do that going over say the standard pentonic box. You likely not going to play that way most of the time but you should be able to cram the strings if you wanted (particularly for R&R, not so much some other styles).
    Phileos High Energy passionate Music with Heart and a bit of Southern Attitude.

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by palico View Post
    I don't agree with Dave's technique for holding the pic but like he said, whatever works for you.

He nails it on muting with both the left hand fingers and palm muting with the right hand to clean up the playing and eliminate noises.

One tip I didn't see him cover. Practice this with a lot of gain. More than you would likely use for real performance. The reason is the extra gain will bring out brings out the string noise more so you can hear them. Once you get it fairly clean when you dial it back down you hear the noises less and have improved at the gain level you normally play. The drawback is the extra gain can cover up where your hands are not in-sync as well and missing the main note as much. So I always found it was good to practice sometimes with a lot of gain and sometimes on a totally clean setting. Lots of Gain for finding any extra noises I'm not muting correctly. Totally clean to make sure I'm hitting my main note right.

One exercise I saw from Paul Gilbert. Choose one note on the guitar. Now fret that note and hit all six strings and hit it hard, like almost windmill style where you really can't avoid the pic hitting the other 5 strings. Do you hear any notes beside the one you intended? Now do that going over say the standard pentonic box. You likely not going to play that way most of the time but you should be able to cram the strings if you wanted (particularly for R&R, not so much some other styles).
    Good suggestions. I have been doing the exercises with a lot of gain for the reason you stated. As far as holding the pick I have a way I am comfortable with and see no reason to change.