Premium Member

Default Blackstar Fly 3 Amplifier

A month and a half ago I bought a Blackstar Fly 3 amplifier so I could practice on my patio in nice weather. It really is an impressive little amp for $60. It runs on 6 AA batteries. They claim a battery life of 15 to 20 hours depending on how you use it. And I think I have nearly that much time on mine already.

It has an input for an MP3 device so you can play backing tracks on it. Or just amplify your MP3 device when not playing your guitar.

I just love having my practice sessions on my patio when the weather is nice. Who wants to sit inside during those few weeks that we get good weather between the extreme hot and nasty cold here in the midwest?

Last night during a lightening storm I discovered another use for this little amp. I am a retired electrician of 39 years. So when I heard something nearby get struck while I was practicing, it occurred to me I did not want to be holding my guitar if there is a power surge. Fly 3 to the rescue. I plugged into that and was able to continue my practice session with no worries.

This was a review I did of it for another guitar group. I know it can be difficult to listen to, there is a reason I am taking lessons But try to get passed that and check out the sound this thing does.

I have a Fly3 myself for basically the same reason, to get out my usual practice space and move elsewhere around the house or property. I really like the compact simplicity. I was using a Fender Mustang Mini for this purpose, I am now using the Fly3 which is much more compact and simple. But I don't plan on giving up my Mustang Mini it is a bit bigger, more features and a little bit more power. When I was a teenager, ages ago, me and a buddy used to have Pignose amps and take them out to places where lessons of a misspent youth took place Lightning storm usage is a good idea too, I live in Central Florida and we get a lot of lightning storms starting at this time of year. It's also great to take on vacation with you if your going to be gone for a couple of weeks. Do you have one of the newer models with bluetooth?
    Last edited by robdbirch; 05-29-2017 at 12:55 PM.

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by robdbirch View Post
    I have a Fly3 myself for basically the same reason, to get out my usual practice space and move elsewhere around the house or property. I really like the compact simplicity. I was using a Fender Mustang Mini for this purpose, I am now using the Fly3 which is much more compact and simple. But I don't plan on giving up my Mustang Mini it is a bit bigger, more features and a little bit more power. When I was a teenager, ages ago, me and a buddy used to have Pignose amps and take them out to places where lessons of a misspent youth took place Lightning storm usage is a good idea too, I live in Central Florida and we get a lot of lightning storms starting at this time of year. It's also great to take on vacation with you if your going to be gone for a couple of weeks. Do you have one of the newer models with bluetooth?
    The Blue tooth models were on pre order at the time I bought mine. They were an extra $30. I didn't think I needed blue tooth but if I ever decided I wanted it I could buy a dongle for less than or right at the $30 difference.

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by BetThisNameAintTaken View Post
    I know it can be difficult to listen to
    Not at all, I enjoyed that. Thanks for sharing.