Default In need of a tune up?

Last summer I had my guitar in a shop for a tune up. String height was adjusted, frets polished etc. All great.
    But now it seems that no matter how accurate I tune the guitar, by ear, digital tuner of tuner in pedal from about 5th fret and up the neck it seems E & A string is slightly off pitch. On 12th fret I should get the octave but it seems off by a little.

Very annoying and I seem to have gotten sort of a "hang up" on this, and I loose focus when practicing.

What can be the root cause of this? And is there something I can to fix this myself? I do have new strings, and I even tried to swap the .11 for .09 to see if that helped. No luck.

What to do?

Setups don't hold. The guitar is wood so it moves over time. Your intonation is off. It will need another setup. if you want to adjust yourself, I recommend the books by Dan Erlewine. In short you will need to adjust the bridge on those to strings to correct the intonation.

Premium Member

I take my Fender Strat to a luthier for tune-ups but I'm thinking about learning how to do them. The Dan Erlewine book looks like it would be good, and I see there are some good tools on Amazon that would pay for themselves on the first tune-up.

What's your opinions on doing it yourself?

Do you tune your guitar, take it to a luthier, or something in between (luthier for some things, you do other things)?

Used to take my guitar to a luthier maybe once a year or when I got a new one. He was in town and quite reasonable. Since I moved to a different town, there's no luthier here. Learned to do my own intonations, but I'm not too precise. Will have to drive the 30 miles to the nearest guitar shop one of these days. At least I can change my own strings and clean and polish my guitars.

Premium Member

Thanks for the insights, crosstour. Do you adjust your string heights and truss rod also?

Quote Originally Posted by alelms View Post
    Thanks for the insights, crosstour. Do you adjust your string heights and truss rod also?
    I have adjusted the truss rod on my Fender Strat, maybe twice in the last seven years. Other than that, I have not needed to adjust the string height (maybe I'm just lucky in that regard). And I do have and recommend Dan Erlewine's book. He also has videos on youtube.

Quote Originally Posted by alelms View Post
    I take my Fender Strat to a luthier for tune-ups but I'm thinking about learning how to do them. The Dan Erlewine book looks like it would be good, and I see there are some good tools on Amazon that would pay for themselves on the first tune-up.

What's your opinions on doing it yourself?

Do you tune your guitar, take it to a luthier, or something in between (luthier for some things, you do other things)?
    I do minor adjustments myself, such as intonation, slight adjustment on pickup height etc... For anything bigger I take it to a luthier. Typically I'll try to have them setup once a year or so by my luthier. He does a better job than I do, but if I find the intonation is just a bit off I'll make the adjustment.

Premium Member

I'll probably take that route, palico. I'm going to invest in a few small tools, ruler gauge, radius gauge, neck straight edge, and Erlewine's book, mess around with my guitar, and then probably have to take it to a Luthiers to straighten it out afterwards.

I want to experiment with different string heights and setups for a while.

Premium Member

Slope, any luck with getting the book? Also, there should be YouTube videos out there to adjust the intonation. It usually consists of very small adjustments to the string length down by the bridge. I don't think the string gauge will fix that.