Premium Member

Default C Major Scales (Ionian Mode). Stuck! Next step?

I hope somebody can guide me to the right direction, please. This week I've learned the C Major scale, I know about the intervals and can find the notes on the fret (sometimes I have to count the fret/steps to find the notes on the scale, especially on the lower string & higher frets, but once I figure out the shape/pattern of the scale, I am ready to go!)

I tried learning other scales but I got to the point where I got stuck, no progress, I'm mixing up the major, minor and pentatonic scales and their pattern. I can never remember which one is which, etc. So I decided to stop watching videos about scales and concentrate more on the basic C major scale, before moving to the next scale.

Using different backing tracks in the key of C and one position, fret 8 of the 6th string, I played the C scale very slow, improvising, alternating notes etc. It sounded basic but good.

Now, I've got a few questions:

• Apart from playing the scale in one position using backing tracks what else could I do with C major scale?
    • Should I practice the C major scale using different areas of the neck (all 5 positions) starting from root C?
    • Do I need to know/memorise all 5 positions?
    • Shall I practice the major scale in different keys?

Is that what you guys did when learning how to play the guitar. Am I missing anything?

I don't know how to proceed now. I don't want to bite off more than I can chew. I'd be very grateful if someone could guide me into the right direction, please.
    Last edited by lapuk; 02-12-2017 at 06:55 PM. Reason: ..

Quote Originally Posted by lapuk View Post
    • Apart from playing the scale in one position using backing tracks what else could I do with C major scale?
    • Should I practice the C major scale using different areas of the neck (all 5 positions) starting from root C?
    • Do I need to know/memorise all 5 positions?
    • Shall I practice the major scale in different keys?
    Yes you need to know all positions of the major/minor scale. So you learned C Major. Now you also know Am. How Am is the minor of C Major. So if you use the Am position over an Am progression it works. The penatonic is 5 notes from the major scale. So if you look at the positions on the Major and Minor scale you can see the Penatonic scale within them.

And Yes unless you will playing everything in C or Am then you playing it over different major and minor scales will be needed. Plus it will help ingrain the patterns in your mind. Also you might start taking a look at the scale using the 3 notes per string approach instead. It's different patterns over the same notes but opens up the fretboard.

Another one, start looking over leads/riffs you might already know. How do they fit into the scales/patterns you know. Can you recognize where they fit, even if they stray from it a bit? It helps to start with riffs/leads you know are already in scale you have practiced and know. Now can you change the riff and make it work? What other notes in the riff/lead could you do something different with?

Quote Originally Posted by palico View Post
    Another one, start looking over leads/riffs you might already know. How do they fit into the scales/patterns you know. Can you recognize where they fit, even if they stray from it a bit? It helps to start with riffs/leads you know are already in scale you have practiced and know. Now can you change the riff and make it work? What other notes in the riff/lead could you do something different with?
    I like your advice about looking closer at familiar lead parts and then rearranging them. I think I'll start with one of the shorter Black Sabbath solos and see what I can deduce.

Btw, I found a cool new tool that helps to figure out scales when in doubt. It's free to use and you can check it out here:

http://www.scales-chords.com/scalefinder.php
    Last edited by BradArmpitt; 02-13-2017 at 07:23 PM.
    "Practice, practice, practice. Practice until you get a guitar welt on your chest. If it makes you feel good, don't stop until you see the blood from your fingers. Then you'll know you're on to something." - Ted Nugent

Premium Member

Thank you! I'd better get cracking then.