Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default Best Guitarists Who Never Make The Lists

While reading through yet another "favorite guitarist" list today, I noticed again that all of the answers are the usual standard fare. Pretty much the same people all of the time.

I thought it might be more interesting and educational if we shared some of our favorite guitarists who are more obscure, instead. Those who have a career full of great music, but somehow get glossed over when it comes to the favorites lists.

I'll start with Jeff "Skunk" Baxter. For those not familiar with Baxter, Steely Dan and Doobie Bros were two of the bands he was in that hit it big, and this doesn't take into account the hundreds of hit songs he contributed to as a studio musician. He also does movie soundtracks, and he's now a consultant for the DoD, as well. He doesn't play lightning fast or anything like that, but rather he plays what the music calls for. He's an interesting guy and a really good guitarist.

In this video, he's playing with a supergroup they called The Best. He's sharing guitar with Joe Walsh, which is also very cool.

Last edited by BradArmpitt; 02-09-2017 at 07:00 PM.
    "Practice, practice, practice. Practice until you get a guitar welt on your chest. If it makes you feel good, don't stop until you see the blood from your fingers. Then you'll know you're on to something." - Ted Nugent

Today I'm picking Danny Gatton. Gatton went by many names during his decades-long career: Master of the Telecaster. The Prince of Redneck Jazz. The Humbler – given to him for his ability to put any guitarist who dared challenge him to shame. And the one that unfortunately stuck – The World’s Greatest Unknown Guitar Player.

A musician’s musician, his admirers included guitar heroes like Eric Clapton, Jeff Beck, Albert Lee, Joe Pass, Les Paul, Ricky Sambora and Slash. Bonnie Raitt and John Fogerty both tried to sign him as a sideman, as did The Tonight Show. He recorded with Chris Isaak, Arlen Roth, Delbert McClinton and Commander Cody.

So why does he never make the favorites lists?

Last edited by BradArmpitt; 02-10-2017 at 06:54 PM.
    "Practice, practice, practice. Practice until you get a guitar welt on your chest. If it makes you feel good, don't stop until you see the blood from your fingers. Then you'll know you're on to something." - Ted Nugent

Basic Member

Not able to give you a name right now, but or me, whenever I see a local rock band live, that guitarist(s) gets my vote!

Getting up on stage, playing with energy and passion for a fraction of the people who see more famous acts...those guitarists get on your list.

Premium Member
    Last edited by krasht; 02-11-2017 at 11:40 AM.

Premium Member

[QUOTE=BradArmpitt;107941]While reading through yet another "favorite guitarist" list today, I noticed again that all of the answers are the usual standard fare. Pretty much the same people all of the time.

I thought it might be more interesting and educational if we shared some of our favorite guitarists who are more obscure, instead. Those who have a career full of great music, but somehow get glossed over when it comes to the favorites lists.

I'll play... My favourite genre is folk and folk has it's fair share of leading lights - Pete Seegar, Joan Baez, Carol King, Emmy Lou but I have never understood why list lady - Cheryl Wheeler - doesn't get mentioned in the same list.
    Last edited by BD-cgull; 02-11-2017 at 05:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by krasht View Post
    I didn't recognize Pat Simmons' name, but when I saw his face I recognized him. The Doobies put out some great music. All of them were excellent musicians even before joining together officially. Anyone who isn't familiar with their earliest albums should definitely check them out. Very cool stuff, but different than what you would expect to hear of 'typical' Doobie Bros.
    Last edited by BradArmpitt; 02-11-2017 at 06:10 PM.

[QUOTE=BD-cgull;107956]
    Quote Originally Posted by BradArmpitt View Post
    I'll play... My favourite genre is folk and folk has it's fair share of leading lights - Pete Seegar, Joan Baez, Carol King, Emmy Lou but I have never understood why list lady - Cheryl Wheeler - doesn't get mentioned in the same list.
    Excellent. I learned a new name already. I am familiar with most of the people on your list, but Cheryl Wheeler is a new discovery for me. She has a really good voice, too. I'll go check out some of her videos and read up on her Wiki. Any particular song recommendations?

My pick for today is Jim McCarty. In an August 2006 interview on VH1 Classic, Ted Nugent remarked "I'm the only guy in rock'n'roll that plays that hollow body jazz guitar and it's because in 1960 I saw Jimmy McCarty creating those big fat full chords like I do on "Stranglehold"; I learned that from Jimmy McCarty. Remember the name Jimmy McCarty. He is as important as Bo Diddley and Chuck Berry and Les Paul... a god on guitar."

McCarty performed with Mitch Ryder and The Detroit Wheels, the Buddy Miles Express, Cactus, The Rockets, the Detroit Blues Band, and more recently, Mystery Train. He also recorded with Jimi Hendrix and Bob Seger.

Here he is performing with Joe Bonamassa:

Premium Member

[QUOTE=BradArmpitt;107958]
    Quote Originally Posted by BD-cgull View Post

Excellent. I learned a new name already. I am familiar with most of the people on your list, but Cheryl Wheeler is a new discovery for me. She has a really good voice, too. I'll go check out some of her videos and read up on her Wiki. Any particular song recommendations?
    Thanks for being so nice. SHe has been around for a long time and apparently has recorded less than a quarter of material she plays live. SOme of her songs are funny and some are political. My favourite album of hers is called Mrs. Pinnocchi's Guitar and is probably the album that got me started on this guitar journey - and I still can't play anything on it. On my To Do (one day...) list is a song called "Piper" in modified open C tuning (EGCGCe) - which Dennis Hodges confirmed is true - the modified Open C bit I mean!

[QUOTE=BD-cgull;107963]
    Quote Originally Posted by BradArmpitt View Post

Thanks for being so nice. SHe has been around for a long time and apparently has recorded less than a quarter of material she plays live. SOme of her songs are funny and some are political. My favourite album of hers is called Mrs. Pinnocchi's Guitar and is probably the album that got me started on this guitar journey - and I still can't play anything on it. On my To Do (one day...) list is a song called "Piper" in modified open C tuning (EGCGCe) - which Dennis Hodges confirmed is true - the modified Open C bit I mean!
    I haven't even begun to think about alternate tunings yet. That boggles my mind thinking how all those notes moved around. lol I'm not that far along in my journey just yet.

I wasn't able to find the album, but I did find the song "Mrs. Pinnocchi's Guitar." I liked it. I found another song she did called "Since You've Been Gone" that I liked a lot, too.