Thread: Metal picks?

Default Metal picks?

My daughter gave me a metal guitar pick. It's the right thickness, stiffness, etc. for me, but I really like it because it says "I picked the world's best Dad." Question: should I use a metal pick on an electric guitar? I'm using light strings. I've already scratched up my pick guard with plastic picks, so I know that will be a concern. Thanks for any advice.

Metal picks will cause you to go through strings quicker. You can get some cool sounds with a metal pick, though, especially slides.

Quote Originally Posted by BradArmpitt View Post
    Metal picks will cause you to go through strings quicker. You can get some cool sounds with a metal pick, though, especially slides.
    Thanks. Maybe I'll play with the metal pick once or twice and then put it aside.

Just an idea my daughter did with one of my pics, if you don't want to use the pic for guitar. Drill a hole in the top, find a nice chain and make it into a necklace.

Quote Originally Posted by palico View Post
    Just an idea my daughter did with one of my pics, if you don't want to use the pic for guitar. Drill a hole in the top, find a nice chain and make it into a necklace.
    Thanks for the suggestion. Maybe a necklace or maybe I'll put it on my keychain.