Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
    Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ed K View Post
    Jam Chat is getting much, much worse.
    I doubt that any fixes (if any) made it worse, so if it is getting worse, it's probably because of some unknown factor that is getting worse. And my first guess for that is the number of users in chat. Right now there are 135 or 126, depending on where you ask. Most of those users are probably asleep right now. Can somebody dump the inactive users from chat again and see if things get better?

Default Thanks for Fixing Jam Chat

Jeff, Chris and everyone at JamPlay--thank you for continuing to work on JamChat. Quite a few of the issues appear to have been resolved now. Thank you.

Ed K.

Quote Originally Posted by Ed K View Post
    Jeff, Chris and everyone at JamPlay--thank you for continuing to work on JamChat. Quite a few of the issues appear to have been resolved now. Thank you.

Ed K.
    I can begin updating this thread with changelogs and updates. Our next deployment will be a major revision of all interfaces and behaviors. I'm also paying close attention to video quality this week based on recent changes.. and have started exploring other providers and options.

We are hoping to have the next major revision (we can call it a full iteration, so JamChat 3.0) completed in the next 7-14 days.. but may be tough to estimate due to the nature of the update.

Here are the proposed updates (some may not be included in the initial release, but these are the goals):

ROOM HANDLING:
    • Rooms will be independent for chat
    • Rooms will be independent for video feeds (teacher or student)
    • Video feeds will not prompt or notify users in other rooms.
    • Live Q&A sessions will "generate" their own, dedicated room, so 2 teachers can be on at once, or students can use cameras in other rooms without affecting sessions.
    • Live Courses will have independent / dedicated room
    • "JamChat" room will always be independent of Live Q&A or Live Courses.
    • Rooms will be controlled via tab navigation and not a sidebar

VIDEO AND FEEDS
    • Quality information will be visible underneath all feeds (latency, packet loss, resolution, frames per second)
    • Video container will be dynamically sized
    • 1, 2, 3 or 4 feeds will be visible without scrolling
    • Student and Teacher feeds will use exact same controls, options, and broadcast settings.
    • Student and Teacher can select preferred audio device and camera within JamChat.
    • Audio leveling control with level meter will be introduced (proposed).
    • Video quality will continue to be selectable by users (720, 480 and 15fps or 30fps), but we may need to limit to 15fps for all feeds if quality remains an issue (still investigating)

UI / Interface:
    • Complete UI rewrite of all menus / controls
    • UI will be a full window / screen, no longer small popup on launch.
    • Rooms will be controlled via tab navigation (header area) instead of invisible in hidden sidebar menu.
    • Settings, Recordings, Bug Reports moved to header area.
    • Right sidebar will be removed.
    • User list will always be visible adjacent to the chat feed.
    • Emoji and Font selections will be moved next to the message input bar.
    • Links will be formatted / styled for easier visibility
    • User icon next to messages will be slightly bigger
    • "Lighten" DOM creations for messaging, video feeds and repainting (performance related)
    • "User is Streaming" alerts will be refactored (still working on solution)
    • Private messages will be refactored (still working on solution)
    • Refactor for iPads, Tablets and Phones

Concerns with JamChat 3.0
    • Supporting lower resolutions (1024x768) will be challenging
    • UI rewrite could introduce new issues for scrolling or overflow issues
    • User status is vital for accuracy of tab information (persistent issue)
    • Scrollbar formating in 2017 is limited (wtf), may affect display on non webkit browsers.
    • 100% flex layout may introduce new UI issues.

Persistent Issues:
    • User Count - While this seems like a very easy fix, it is "a very good bug". Still chasing.
    • Video Quality - Still diagnosing, speaking with hosts, may change providers.
    • Message Reliability - We believe this is working correctly.
    • Scrolling Issues - We believe this is working correctly, though with the UI rewrite, will need to be monitored

Feel free to chime in, I'll continue to revisit this thread as we advance or begin deployments.

Chris
    JamPlay.com Co-Founder

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by cdawson View Post
    I can begin updating this thread with changelogs and updates. Our next deployment will be a major revision of all interfaces and behaviors. I'm also paying close attention to video quality this week based on recent changes.. and have started exploring other providers and options.

We are hoping to have the next major revision (we can call it a full iteration, so JamChat 3.0) completed in the next 7-14 days.. but may be tough to estimate due to the nature of the update.

Here are the proposed updates (some may not be included in the initial release, but these are the goals):

ROOM HANDLING:
    • Rooms will be independent for chat
    • Rooms will be independent for video feeds (teacher or student)
    • Video feeds will not prompt or notify users in other rooms.
    • Live Q&A sessions will "generate" their own, dedicated room, so 2 teachers can be on at once, or students can use cameras in other rooms without affecting sessions.
    • Live Courses will have independent / dedicated room
    • "JamChat" room will always be independent of Live Q&A or Live Courses.
    • Rooms will be controlled via tab navigation and not a sidebar

VIDEO AND FEEDS
    • Quality information will be visible underneath all feeds (latency, packet loss, resolution, frames per second)
    • Video container will be dynamically sized
    • 1, 2, 3 or 4 feeds will be visible without scrolling
    • Student and Teacher feeds will use exact same controls, options, and broadcast settings.
    • Student and Teacher can select preferred audio device and camera within JamChat.
    • Audio leveling control with level meter will be introduced (proposed).
    • Video quality will continue to be selectable by users (720, 480 and 15fps or 30fps), but we may need to limit to 15fps for all feeds if quality remains an issue (still investigating)

UI / Interface:
    • Complete UI rewrite of all menus / controls
    • UI will be a full window / screen, no longer small popup on launch.
    • Rooms will be controlled via tab navigation (header area) instead of invisible in hidden sidebar menu.
    • Settings, Recordings, Bug Reports moved to header area.
    • Right sidebar will be removed.
    • User list will always be visible adjacent to the chat feed.
    • Emoji and Font selections will be moved next to the message input bar.
    • Links will be formatted / styled for easier visibility
    • User icon next to messages will be slightly bigger
    • "Lighten" DOM creations for messaging, video feeds and repainting (performance related)
    • "User is Streaming" alerts will be refactored (still working on solution)
    • Private messages will be refactored (still working on solution)
    • Refactor for iPads, Tablets and Phones

Concerns with JamChat 3.0
    • Supporting lower resolutions (1024x768) will be challenging
    • UI rewrite could introduce new issues for scrolling or overflow issues
    • User status is vital for accuracy of tab information (persistent issue)
    • Scrollbar formating in 2017 is limited (wtf), may affect display on non webkit browsers.
    • 100% flex layout may introduce new UI issues.

Persistent Issues:
    • User Count - While this seems like a very easy fix, it is "a very good bug". Still chasing.
    • Video Quality - Still diagnosing, speaking with hosts, may change providers.
    • Message Reliability - We believe this is working correctly.
    • Scrolling Issues - We believe this is working correctly, though with the UI rewrite, will need to be monitored

Feel free to chime in, I'll continue to revisit this thread as we advance or begin deployments.

Chris
    Chris - thank you for the update. The increased chatroom function (separating the rooms from each other and from the live events) will be great. Also the use count........ (bad bug).

I raised a glass of Guinness in your honour - as well as the greater good of drinking Guinness.

~ bd

Quote Originally Posted by BD-cgull View Post
    Chris - thank you for the update. The increased chatroom function (separating the rooms from each other and from the live events) will be great. Also the use count........ (bad bug).

I raised a glass of Guinness in your honour - as well as the greater good of drinking Guinness.

~ bd
    I as well appreciate your efforts to make the chat a better place, thank you Chris! And I will join BD in raising a glass of Guiness in your honour - besides it is a good reason to partake of the greater good of Guiness!
    Dennis

Premium Member

Thank you for the detailed update Chris. If we use the "bug report" button on the sidebar, does that still work? Do those bug reports come to you? I have discovered a possible issue (not sure) that I would like to let you know. Again, thank you for all your hard work on giving us a new and improved chat. Looking forward to Jam Chat 3.0. your favorite pita, dancindianern

Quote Originally Posted by BigDMoney22 View Post
    Thank you for the detailed update Chris. If we use the "bug report" button on the sidebar, does that still work? Do those bug reports come to you? I have discovered a possible issue (not sure) that I would like to let you know. Again, thank you for all your hard work on giving us a new and improved chat. Looking forward to Jam Chat 3.0. your favorite pita, dancindianern
    I think it's best to just hold off on any issues with the "current" state of JamChat, as a majority of it will be redone.. if it still persists after 3.0 is released, we will definitely track everything down.

Chris
    JamPlay.com Co-Founder