Default Replacing vocals notes with guitar ones

Hello,

I've just started playing with a friend (he's beginner, I'm beginner++): he plays acoustic, I play electric and I'm struggling with the following concept: I would like to replace the vocals of a backing track by actually playing it on the guitar to avoid not playing anything until my part comes on.

So I thought that I might just play the actual vocals on guitar and it should sound good. The problem is that I find it pretty hard to do this. I've spent a couple of hours to transcribe some notes from an actual music sheet and it sounded ok-ish, however I'm not able to do this by myself alone.

I would like to point out that I'm not looking for improvisation, but actual notes from the vocals. Also, I don't want to simulate some very fancy vocals, pretty basic ones composed of several notes (e.g. we tried to do it with Guns N Roses - I Used to Love Her).

I know the pentatonic scale on all positions and I figured it should be fairly easy. Unfortunately, it's not :|.

Are there any lessons on jamplay in this direction or do you have any advice on how to improve on this?

Thank you.
    Last edited by gabrieltudorica; 09-19-2016 at 05:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by gabrieltudorica View Post
    Hello,

I've just started playing with a friend (he's beginner, I'm beginner++): he plays acoustic, I play electric and I'm struggling with the following concept: I would like to replace the vocals of a backing track by actually playing it on the guitar to avoid not playing anything until my part comes on.

So I thought that I might just play the actual vocals on guitar and it should sound good. The problem is that I find it pretty hard to do this. I've spent a couple of hours to transcribe some notes from an actual music sheet and it sounded ok-ish, however I'm not able to do this by myself alone.

I would like to point out that I'm not looking for improvisation, but actual notes from the vocals. Also, I don't want to simulate some very fancy vocals, pretty basic ones composed of several notes (e.g. we tried to do it with Guns N Roses - I Used to Love Her).

I know the pentatonic scale on all positions and I figured it should be fairly easy. Unfortunately, it's not :|.

Are there any lessons on jamplay in this direction or do you have any advice on how to improve on this?

Thank you.
    Your heading down the road to be great soloist on guitar with your attitude! What the vocalist is doing is the melody of the song. Listen to a lot of great solos you and you hear that same melody either directly in the solo or implied behind those great leads. You might pull some of them off using the penatonic scale but you will get further by learning the full major/minor scale (as well as the modes which is just different starting points on the major/minor scale). As for learning it you will have to approach by training yourself to pick it out. Basically your doing the same thing you would try figure out a guitar lead all by yourself w/o tab or sheet music to follow. There are programs that slow down the track without changing the pitch you could use. Ear training lesson might help as well as it will enable to pick out the notes the vocalist is doing quicker. Since most vocalist can intitutively pick out the notes to sing based on the accompaniment provided by guitar, your not going to find too much sheet music etc... that has it, or that perhaps as it in the correct key. This might not be real easy thing to do but totally worth it in the end though.

Premium Member

Gabriel,

I'm trying to do the same thing. I spent a week dissecting My Girl (Temptations version written by Smokey Robinson). I'm also following Chris' lesson Guitar 104 and found it helps in listening to the notes after only two lessons. You may want to check out the two archived lessons and start watching the live ones.

I'm still working it, though. Good luck!

Al

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by alelms View Post
    I'm trying to do the same thing. I spent a week dissecting My Girl (Temptations version written by Smokey Robinson).
    You could try singing it one note at a time into your guitar tuner. Easy, right? Not if you're not a good singer, but after trying that, singing it and picking it out on the guitar seems easy.

There is an active JamPlay Live Course which is aimed at teaching this skill. It's "Tab Killer" (ear training) by Andy Whitehead. Lesson One in the archives will get you started, enough to do "My Girl". In fact, "My Girl" is the homework assignment for Week One.

Premium Member

Thanks for the advice nwhy. Tab Killer is what gave me the idea for My Girl. I'm trying to take it farther along than what's in Tab Killer. And I like the idea of using the tuner for finding notes. Maybe that'll help with my singing (which needs even more work than my guitar playing). 😬😬😬

I wonder if singing into a tuner would train one's voice? That's an odd concept, but I would try it! lol Has anyone tried this before?