Premium Member

Default Modes and scales

I need help finding out if there are more positions in each mode say Dorian. Is there just that position like david shows in music theory or are there more that go up and down the neck like the 5 pentatonic shape? Also is there more in the same mode when you play them in the 3 note per string style? Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by DylanreedA7x View Post
    I need help finding out if there are more positions in each mode say Dorian. Is there just that position like david shows in music theory or are there more that go up and down the neck like the 5 pentatonic shape? Also is there more in the same mode when you play them in the 3 note per string style? Thanks.
    Much like the pentatonic scale positions, diatonic and modal scales can be played across the fret board. What I would recommend is committing the scale formulas to memory. Then you can take those patterns and committ them to the various sections of the fretboard where you want to play. You can actually use the pentatonic positions as a guide and add the notes that are lacking from the pentatonic scales.
    Jason Mounce
    Content Producer
    [email protected]
    877-999-4JAM

Emil Werstler on Active Pickups:
    Pros: you can put them in a 2 X 4 and sound like zakk wylde
    Cons: you can put them in a 2 X 4 and sound like zakk wylde