Thread: Ambivalence

Premium Member

Default Ambivalence

I've finally gotten back into a solid pattern of playing guitar. I've been playing every day, with a solid practice plan every day, and it's starting to show.

I have been working on learning pentatonic major and minor in all positions, can improvise with a jam track using these scales fairly well, am now nailing down the same scales using the three-on-a-string patterns and have learned the following songs (including solos, though admittedly they are a little sloppy still):

• You Shook Me All Night Long - AC/DC
    • Highway to Hell - AC/DC
    • I Love Rock n Roll - Joan Jett
    • Breaking the Law - Judas Priest
    • Living After Midnight - Judas Priest
    • Are You Gonna Be My Girl? - Jet
    • Talk Dirty To Me - Poison

The problem, if there is one, is that, even though I can learn a (relatively easy) song pretty quickly, I still don't feel like I'm "getting there", you know? Part of this may be due to the fact that I've been having trouble finding people to jam with. I'm not good enough to join a band looking to gig, and I'm better than the two people I have tried to jam with so far. It's okay if one person is a little better, but these people were not able to play the rhythm to a complete song yet. Any song. I'm not really interested in being a guitar teacher - I wanna rock!

I've been going through a phase of evaluating gear too. I wonder if there's something I'm missing. I've taken some time to go to the music store and play a ton of guitars and amps (which is useless, because you can't wind out the amps as much as you need to in order to get a good idea of its sound), but I just can't see why I need anything more than my Agile AL-3200 guitar and my Line 6 Spider IV 75 amp, though I have seriously been considering a new neck pickup because I NEVER use the one I have (I don't like it).

I don't know why I'm posting this. I'm not even really discouraged. I look forward to playing every single day, and seem to pick up a little something every day. Group therapy, I guess.

I can only guess that you haven't found the right jam partners, as you said. Of course, that's no easy thing, but perhaps you will come across them soon. Good luck and keep it up!

Premium Member

Well, I managed to hook up with another guitar player who is at about the same level as me. We have different strengths and weaknesses, but overall, we are about equal. We are arranging for another guitar player and a drummer to join us for some just-for-fun jams. We need a bass player too. I could fill in, I suppose, but I wanna play guitar, not bass!

We were able to learn a couple of songs from each other in a relatively short amount of time, so that's promising.

That's great. Sounds like things are moving in the right direction for you.

Premium Member

A quick update:

I've been jamming pretty regularly with the other guitarist... he plays about the same level as me, likes the same types of (rockin') tunes, and is a great guy to boot!

We've got a studio date with a drummer this weekend. She seems to be at about the same level, is the same age, and proposed some pretty similar songs.

One of the songs she proposed was Takin' Care of Business. The other guitarist and I jammed it out yesterday to a backing track, and it was GREAT! I played all the lead work, and my performance got a "holy sh!t" out of the guitarist, and a spectator thought the solo work was part of the backing track! I gotta admit, I was having a pretty good guitar day.

I'm glad I stuck with it. It looks like I've got a pretty solid jam partner, and a potential band situation down the road.