Premium Member

Default Travel Guitar and Jamstik

I was looking for a small guitar I can travel with as a way to practice and exercise my fingers while away from home. I came across something called a Jamstik Plus (see jamstik.com). It looks small enough to travel with and can play music using a bluetooth connection to an iPhone or iPad.

While this looks interesting, I have to wonder if it really works as advertised. Has anybody in the Jamplay community had any hands-on experience with this? I sure would appreciate your feedback or any suggestions on other travel guitars or practice devices that I could use while traveling.

Premium Member

https://www.macstories.net/reviews/r...al-instrument/

I like Ministar but good luck finding one.

I've been trying to find a good backpack-type of acoustic guitar for years, but I've never found one that sounds even remotely good. They all sound like crapola to me, and don't play very well, either. The Jamstick feels much more like a game controller than a guitar, I can tell you that. If you happen to play video games with those guitars, and you can work it fairly well, then it might work for you to practice little riffs or fills or whatever. Not like the real thing, though. I found one online called a Traveler, and they look really nice, but I haven't seen one in person to try it out. They look very promising, though, for me at least.
    Last edited by BradArmpitt; 12-28-2016 at 11:32 AM.

I haven't tried the Jamstik Plus but I have played a few others. The problem with a lot of the smaller travel guitars is that they don't simulate a traditional guitar very well and can create bad habits due to the short fretboard and unconventional way you hold them. I was an outdoor guide and used to travel a lot. For backpacking I used the Martin Backpacker. It doesn't have the best sound, but it feels like a standard guitar when you play it. It is also small enough that it is easy to take with you about anywhere. For all my other traveling needs I use my Taylor GS Mini. It's an amazing guitar and I can't say enough about it. However, it's pretty big. Especially compared to the Jamstik.

The Jamstik (And others like it) have one big plus. They can be easily packed in you luggage and taken anywhere. Guitars like the Martin, Taylor, Traveler, and others say they are small enough to fit in an overhead bin, but good luck with that. Most airlines are so overbooked that they will make you check it instead of taking up the entire overhead bin.

Let me know if you get the Jamstik (or something similar) I am always in the market for a new travel guitar.

William

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by BradArmpitt View Post
    I've been trying to find a good backpack-type of acoustic guitar for years, but I've never found one that sounds even remotely good.
    Everything is a compromise, especially a backpack type acoustic! I see two options. one: give up and get a uke. two: give up and get a travel electric. My compromise is keep the real fretboard, neck, strings, and stuff and get rid of the body (The body can be replaced by outline pieces). Without the body you need an amp. I use a Vox amPlug Acoustic Headphone Amp. Not so good around the campfire though.

Quote Originally Posted by nwhy View Post
    Everything is a compromise, especially a backpack type acoustic! I see two options. one: give up and get a uke. two: give up and get a travel electric. My compromise is keep the real fretboard, neck, strings, and stuff and get rid of the body (The body can be replaced by outline pieces). Without the body you need an amp. I use a Vox amPlug Acoustic Headphone Amp. Not so good around the campfire though.
    Right, that's why I've been looking at one of the Traveler guitars. A small amp you can strap to your belt is relatively easy to find. Your post gave me an idea to look for a travel practice solution, though, like fredb1949 was asking about in the OP. It's similar to the Jamstick, but made like an actual guitar. For a practice tool, it would probably work better than the Jamstick.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/acces...ce-guitar-neck

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by BradArmpitt View Post
    shredneck-practice-guitar-neck
    Wow, that's small enough to fit in your Xmas stocking! A must-have for its novelty value. It would be odd to have a guitar that you aren't supposed to actually tune. It reminds me of Jason's signature quote:
    Emil Werstler on Active Pickups:
    Pros: you can put them in a 2 X 4 and sound like zakk wylde
    Cons: you can put them in a 2 X 4 and sound like zakk wylde
    when in fact there is a Zakk Wylde signature Shredneck model.

Still, I think if I didn't already have something I liked, I would google "guitar parts" and buy a real neck online and have a little DIY project, perhaps involving a 2x4, and make one. The minimum length would be about 25 inches

Premium Member

I travel with one of these along with a Pocket Pod. Works great and will fit inside a large suitcase.
    http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/SpeedsterRD