Basic Member

Default Advice on Direction to Go

Hi All,

I have been playing off and on for about 5 years, bluegrass, blues, a little rock. I have mostly just played chords and rhythm and want to increase my knowledge and skills to be able to play lead. I almost always play without a pick, and would also like to embrace finger style as I find it very rich sounding. I am torn as if I jump into fingerstyle lessons by Deeming, or focus on some lead playing lessons. Just confused on how to spend my time and energies. Though, there is great lessons and information on the site, I am finding it hard as to where to point myself, to get the most growth. Any ideas would be helpful. I have done lots of lessons with Hawkeye and love them!

Quote Originally Posted by moppenrow View Post
    Hi All,

I have been playing off and on for about 5 years, bluegrass, blues, a little rock. I have mostly just played chords and rhythm and want to increase my knowledge and skills to be able to play lead. I almost always play without a pick, and would also like to embrace finger style as I find it very rich sounding. I am torn as if I jump into fingerstyle lessons by Deeming, or focus on some lead playing lessons. Just confused on how to spend my time and energies. Though, there is great lessons and information on the site, I am finding it hard as to where to point myself, to get the most growth. Any ideas would be helpful. I have done lots of lessons with Hawkeye and love them!
    Where you're at right now is where we see a lot of people fumble. The biggest thing that is going to help you right now is to get a goal, a solid one. I'm going to be blunt here. In your post you haven't even decided what you want to do. First you talk about playing lead, but then move on to wanting to possibly play fingerstyle because you don't primarily play with a pick, before moving on to loving Hawkeye's lessons. Because you don't have a solid goal to move to, you're stuck where you are only picking up bits and pieces of knowledge here and there that doesn't actually progress you as a guitarist.

The first step you should take is sit down and write up a goal for what you want to do with the guitar. It could be something like "proficiency at Fingerstyle guitar by the end of 2016." It needs to be specific and attainable. Once you've done that, make sure you're able to keep a good practice schedule and start taking the courses necessary to fulfill that goal.
    Jason Mounce
    Content Producer
    [email protected]
    877-999-4JAM

Emil Werstler on Active Pickups:
    Pros: you can put them in a 2 X 4 and sound like zakk wylde
    Cons: you can put them in a 2 X 4 and sound like zakk wylde

Basic Member

Default Thanks for the advice

Quote Originally Posted by Jason.Mounce View Post
    Where you're at right now is where we see a lot of people fumble. The biggest thing that is going to help you right now is to get a goal, a solid one. I'm going to be blunt here. In your post you haven't even decided what you want to do. First you talk about playing lead, but then move on to wanting to possibly play fingerstyle because you don't primarily play with a pick, before moving on to loving Hawkeye's lessons. Because you don't have a solid goal to move to, you're stuck where you are only picking up bits and pieces of knowledge here and there that doesn't actually progress you as a guitarist.

The first step you should take is sit down and write up a goal for what you want to do with the guitar. It could be something like "proficiency at Fingerstyle guitar by the end of 2016." It needs to be specific and attainable. Once you've done that, make sure you're able to keep a good practice schedule and start taking the courses necessary to fulfill that goal.
    I think that setting obtainable goals is solid advice. thx.

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by moppenrow View Post
    I think that setting obtainable goals is solid advice. thx.
    If your talking Bluegrass lead, forget finger style it's flat pick territory, and one great guy to start with is Tyler Grant, 6yrs ago I went strictly flat picking BG myself and it took me until now to get fairly fluid with it. Very demanding style as the tempos are quite fast in most jams and the up down technique is required along with cross picking, slides, hammer ons, pull offs and a lot of movement on the neck. But IMO the journey is worth the price IF you stick with it. Take a look at Bryan Sutton, or bands like Hot Rize and you will get a good idea of the possibilities........Good luck on your venture. OH, PS: jumping around with different styles and so on is ok but you need to Focus on the one you really love and when proficient at it Then mess around with the others.........JMO

Quote Originally Posted by Jason.Mounce View Post

^ Do that! Sit down and think about what you want to accomplish on guitar. Usually it's easier to start with your long term goals. Then work backwards to what small goals you need to accomplish to get to the long term one. Then get to work.