Thread: Amp choice

Default Amp choice

Anyone running their bass through a keyboard amp, or keyboard through their bass amp? This is for home use only.

Opinions on the Ampeg BA-110 or BA-108 as a stand alone amp for home use?
    Rog

I picked up an open-box 108 from Musician's Friend and I like it a lot. Certain notes produce a bit of a rattle from somewhere in the amp, however, so I suspect something is loose inside. I haven't the energy to take it apart and check all the fittings, though.

UPDATE: I discovered that the rattle I was hearing is coming from my A string, not the amp. So change my endorsement of the 108 to a hearty one.
    Last edited by redzeppelin; 08-15-2013 at 08:42 AM.

I've had AMPEG BA-108 for about 6 months and I purchased it at the same time as my first bass. So I'm a beginner of the lowest rank and have no experience with any other amp for comparison purposes. It's just used as a practice amp at home of course but I've had no issues with it at all. The construction quality is very good, it sounds good to me, has inputs for both active and passive instruments, headphone jack and an input for cd, mp3 player which is handy so I can play along with backing tracks etc. It was inexpensive, so for home use as a practice amp, it's been a top notch buy for me. I'd recommend it.

I discovered a new problem with my BA-108. Apparently I got hit with a double-whammy when I bought that amp and my bass. First, as I mentioned in my previous post, I was hearing a rattle from the amp when I played. I thought it was something loose in the cabinet. Then I discovered that my bass shipped with a bad A string.

After replacing the strings my bass sounded much better, but I heard a new rattle. After playing around a bit I discovered that the cord plug was rattling inside the amp input. Apparently the clip inside the input is loose or something so there isn't a tight connection with the plug.

Fortunately after contacting Ampeg about the problem they agreed to send out a replacement amp since it is within the 90-day factory warranty.

I think I may have just received a lemon of an amp, because I'm getting some static through it as well when I play. At first I thought the static was caused by bad pickups or a cheap cable, but when I plug headphones into the amp the sound is perfectly clean, so the source of the noise isn't the bass. I'm hoping the replacement cures all of those problems because I love the features of the amp. Like one bullet barney says, the CD input is very handy. I connect my iPad to it to play Jamplay lessons and the songs I play along with.

I previously used no amp only simulation on my ipad (JamUp).
    I recently bough a TC Electronic BG250-208, http://www.tcelectronic.com/bg250-208/ that is basically a very serious 250W head enclosed in a small 2x8" cabinet.
    It's cheap, cool, sounds great and is totally silent (important for home use, no hiss, no noise.. nothing)
    Bass : Precision American Std (2009) / Godin SD4 (2001) / Warwick Corvette Std MIG (2007) - Markbass Littlemark 250
    Guitar : Epiphone ES-335 (1970) Cherry / Session Sessionnette75 (British amp 1987) / Godin 5th Avenue Kingpin / Cort L100

+1 on the TC Electronics BG250 amp. Small footprint but big, awesome tone! Plus, it has a headphone jack, so it can 'neighbor-friendly!'
    My Gear
    2014 PRS SE 245
    2013 PRS SE Custom 7
    2013 PRS SE Angelus Standard
    Ernie Ball Skinny Top Heavy Bottom Cobalt Strings

Premium Member

Hi everybody! I am starting to learn bass and I have an Ibanez GSR 200. I still don't have an amp, and I don't want to buy one till I am sure that my bass learning is not a fad. In the meantime I am looking around and I would like to hear the opinion of more experienced folks.

Would you advise to buy just a practice amp (like for instance the Ampeg BA108) or an amp that could also be used in gigs (like for instance a TC Electronics BG250)?

I know that you will ask me whether I plan on playing gigs or just at home... And my answer is that if I ever get to the level of playing gigs, and have the opportunity, I would love to. Otherwise it will be play at home along with records

Thanks!
    And