Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
looking for an apartment amp
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Premium Member

Default looking for an apartment amp

Hi, I just bought a BC rich electric guitar not a real American make one cause I can't afford 5000 which so I bought a Korean make, BC rich that guitar that I bought is so pretty and I alot alot switch and knob to control the tune I can't figure out which is which yet, and also I bought a blackstar ht-1 tube amp,that amp is amazing good I love it how it sound ,but is very loud in my apt and finally I return it,cause I press the overdrive that is too loud.

So my question is now I got a BC rich guitar .I really want to find an solid state amp that the sound like tube amp that has a low overdrive volume that my neighbor don't call the police. Ha-ha.and also that have a foot pedal if they come with .

http://www.voxshowroom.com/uk/amp/vt+.html I have the vt20+ perfect for apartments but more muscle is available - they have rereleased these got mine for less than a hundred bucks off craigslist.
    http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/VT20Plus

Premium Member

Hi Tommy, I know what you mean, that the Blackstar's are loud, I'm in the same situation as you, Living in an apartment, and I too have a Blackstar 5HT-r and it can be quite loud, I loved the amp and I didn't want to get rid of it, I found an alternative to allows me to keep it and still have that nice tube sound. I got an attenuator. I'll post a link for you, I got it off ebay, and it's amazing, it makes my 5 watt into just over a 1/2 watt, plenty low enough for my apt and I can really get a nice break up of the tubes without bothering the neighbors

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Attenuator-R...item19ebaf2bd3

Hope this helps.

Premium Member

It depends on ur budge and purpose. If it's just for in door practice maybe a Blackstar ID: Core amp. They seem very versatile and good valued. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g8ajStxLfiE If u want one for home recording then depending on ur budget, there are lots of choices.
    Last edited by janopack; 09-23-2015 at 07:09 AM.

Premium Member

I have bought a Fender Mustang III for the exact same reason. If you have the change to check one out I recommend doing so.
    It sounds good at low level and if you need more power, it certainly can serve you with that too.
    dshow

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by slighter View Post
    http://www.voxshowroom.com/uk/amp/vt+.html I have the vt20+ perfect for apartments but more muscle is available - they have rereleased these got mine for less than a hundred bucks off craigslist.
    http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/VT20Plus
    I'll second this one from Slighter. I don't have one personally, but I have a student who just picked one up and I was quite impressed with it. Very versatile...
    - Chris Smith
    Content Producer
    Jamplay.com

Premium Member

If you live in the Dallas/Ft.Worth area I am selling on Reverb.com a Fender Mustang IV V.2 Guitar Combo Amplifier (150 Watts) That is practically brand new at a crazy cheap price!

CHECK IT OUT HERE ==> https://reverb.com/shop/mikes-gear-emporium-13

Premium Member

Is vox a tube amp the the model u mention.

Premium Member

I'm going to be making some assumptions. You have a 1w output tube amp and it's too loud?? So obviously you're cranking it up right? IMO you're going to have to make compromises somewhere. (1) To date there's no SS amp that sounds quite like a tube amp no matter what spin you hear. Not that there isn't decent sounding SS amps. I have a roland micro cube which I like, quiet enough, but it's no tube amp. (2) I also have a Fender Deluxe reverb, 22w, can be very loud, complaints from neighbors etc. But if I lower the volume, viola, no complaints. But again nothing sounds quite like a cranked tube amp right? (3) You could use a pedal for the gain you seek, but it can affect the speakers tonal characteristics. (4) Attenuators can be a solution but they can be expensive. Plus much of the tone of an amp comes from the speaker so you'll still have some tonal changes. (5) One other solution would be to build yourself an isolation box and mic your amp through a monitor and control the volume that way while leaving the amp cranked to where you like it. Or (6) headphones? Would work with the isolation box or an amp with a headphones out. IMO any of these solutions would be fine but they are what they are. Compromises. I use the first three options myself. I expect any of them would be acceptable to me. For me the best result is an overdrive on my Deluxe Reverb with the volume down. One thing I don't believe you'll find is another tube amp that will give less volume than a 1w output amp.
    Last edited by bennie357; 09-24-2015 at 11:12 PM. Reason: correction

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by bennie357 View Post
    I'm going to be making some assumptions. You have a 1w output tube amp and it's too loud?? So obviously you're cranking it up right? IMO you're going to have to make compromises somewhere. (1) To date there's no SS amp that sounds quite like a tube amp no matter what spin you hear. Not that there isn't decent sounding SS amps. I have a roland micro cube which I like, quiet enough, but it's no tube amp. (2) I also have a Fender Deluxe reverb, 22w, can be very loud, complaints from neighbors etc. But if I lower the volume, viola, no complaints. But again nothing sounds quite like a cranked tube amp right? (3) You could use a pedal for the gain you seek, but it can affect the speakers tonal characteristics. (4) Attenuators can be a solution but they can be expensive. Plus much of the tone of an amp comes from the speaker so you'll still have some tonal changes. (5) One other solution would be to build yourself an isolation box and mic your amp through a monitor and control the volume that way while leaving the amp cranked to where you like it. Or (6) headphones? Would work with the isolation box or an amp with a headphones out. IMO any of these solutions would be fine but they are what they are. Compromises. I use the first three options myself. I expect any of them would be acceptable to me. For me the best result is an overdrive on my Deluxe Reverb with the volume down. One thing I don't believe you'll find is another tube amp that will give less volume than a 1w output amp.
    Bennie357 nailed it, get yourself an Attenuator. I have one and use it with my Laney amp head and my Marshall 4x12, you get that full tube tone richness at bedroom levels it's really nice. Without the Attenuator forget it I wouldn't be able to stay in the house and play (lol) that is how cranked the amp is. The Attenuator is a bit pricey, I believe I paid $599 for mine. I want to say jet city amps has a smaller way less expensive Attenuator, I don't know how good they work but I have seen them advertised.