Default New Pedal board, Pedal recommedations

Well my Line6 POD HD decided to brick yesterday. Well I had rehersal yesterday but lucky for me I use it with a Line6 DT25 so I could just use the amp by itself without the board. Well I hooked up a Soul food pedal and re-discovered my love of real pedals. Even thought the Line6 DT is hybrid amp it does have a real tube power section and sounds really good. With just the sound food overdrive in front it, the rig I honestly think sounded better than with the board. This is likely from my patches but truthfully I had been thinking of going back towards all analog anyway. So instead of getting a replacement board I've decided to go back to pedals. Likley will go back to all tube amp down the road as well.

So now which pedals to build this new pedal board? I have a Boss DS1 already that I would like to send off and get the Keely mod on and the Soul food overdrive. But will have to get pedals for the rest. Here is the list of pedal types. I want.

Wah
    Compressor
    Clean Boost
    Phaser
    Overdrive/Distortion
    Tremolo
    Chorus
    Delay

So what brand/models should I go check out?

I have a BOSS BD-2 i like. I have been going to get the keely mod on it, A friend of mine has one with it and it really sounds good !

Premium Member

great question - if you are free, jump on the dave weiner chat at 3PM on Wednesday. He has tons of pedals and he will give you sound advice. He is a big fan of the Maxon optical compressor. He uses TC electronic delays and reverb, he also is a big fan of your ehx soul food and used it on a recent recording. He would be a really good guy to answer your questions as he likes pedals vs multi-effects units and has done demos for maxon, ehx, xotic and others. Finally, you must check out Pete Thorn's youtube page. He has demos of his boards over the years and does tons of killer demos. Just check your checking account first as you'll want to buy everything he demos. Enjoy.

Quote Originally Posted by harleys guitars View Post
    I have a BOSS BD-2 i like. I have been going to get the keely mod on it, A friend of mine has one with it and it really sounds good !
    Thanks I had a BD-2 back in the day. It was a good pedal for smokey type of tones.

Quote Originally Posted by modean View Post
    great question - if you are free, jump on the dave weiner chat at 3PM on Wednesday. He has tons of pedals and he will give you sound advice. He is a big fan of the Maxon optical compressor. He uses TC electronic delays and reverb, he also is a big fan of your ehx soul food and used it on a recent recording. He would be a really good guy to answer your questions as he likes pedals vs multi-effects units and has done demos for maxon, ehx, xotic and others. Finally, you must check out Pete Thorn's youtube page. He has demos of his boards over the years and does tons of killer demos. Just check your checking account first as you'll want to buy everything he demos. Enjoy.
    Unfortunally I'm working today so not possible to get to 3pm chat but thanks for the suggestion.

Quote Originally Posted by palico View Post
    Wah
    Compressor
    Clean Boost
    Phaser
    Overdrive/Distortion
    Tremolo
    Chorus
    Delay
    I picked up 3 new pedals this week, well one's on the way should get it friday.
    Xotic Effects EP Booster - So far really dig this pedal for my single coil guitars to give them a bit of a hit on the input. Plan on using for Solo boost. It's not really a clean boost but I really dig it so far.
    MXR EVH Phase 90 - For a phaser all I can say is WOW. This thing nails it. Early EVH tone in a box. with the Switch for Script vs. Block mode fairly versatile too.
    VOX Time Machine (Joe Satriani Signature). Hoping this will nail get the delay I want, waiting on it to come in. These are discontinued so I found a decent priced used on. I tried out a MXR Carbon copy and I was just not digging the Analog delay for the style of music I play most. Although I think from playing with it, it would be great analog Delay if analog delays are you thing. Also tried out a T.C. Electronic Mini Digital delay, great sounding little unit but it didn't have tap tempo which is feature I really wanted.

Premium Member

Old thread - typing anyway...

Strymon Mobius!!!!

Phaser, Chorus, Tremolo (plus envelope filter, flanger and some very cool bit distorters). All of them are studio quality and have at least three variants. People see Strymon and assume it's too expensive, but there are literally 10 studio quality effects, it's so easy to use and has the magic Strymon touch: zero noise, zero color to your tone, flawless functionality.