Premium Member

Default Need some help with theory

Hey I wanted to ask you'll a few questions which is necessary to know the answers of in order to improve your guitar skills ..
    Firstly , how do you use intervals ? Like do they give you the chords of the songs ? Is it explained in the lessons here at jamplay? Can somebody point them out to me? Basically how do you use them to transcribe? My approach is to figure out the minor pentatonic scale , figure out the minor key transpose it to its relative major and figure out the chords of and from that key (I'm quite sure the chords in both the relative keys are the same). However I can't apply the 1-4-5 patterns since I m in the relative major key .. Right? And the key is actually the minor which is figured out after figuring out the minor pentatonic scale.. What use is the 1-4-5 or 1-4-7 etc patterns? How do I apply them ? Is my way of figuring out chords right? Is there a better way?
    Also I can come up with some good licks phrases etc but I'm looking to open up my playing .. How can jamplay help me ? I'm currently following the technique lessons .. Please let me know if my way of transcribing is appropriate .. Also how does one figure out sus4 or slash or other not so ordinary chords in the process ..? And how do you use the bass line in the transcribing process? I await your answers .. please help me out ..!!

Premium Member

Your well on your way, kingpinned89. I just did a search on jamplay for theory. http://members.jamplay.com/search-re...ch_text=theory I didn't view all of them, but I'm sure there is a ton of good information in these videos.

How to use intervals? An interval is a musical distance. They have names like, perfect 4th, minor 3rd and so on. When listening to a bass line, listen for small leaps and big leaps. Try to put the name of interval to the leap. For example, "Here comes the Bride" starts off with a perfect 4th. Intervals can help in finding the chords of a song.

When you transcribe chords for a song or piece, perhaps transcribing them literally will help with assigning numbers. What I mean by literally is, write them as E | A | E | B7, then go back and put the numbers to them. In the example above, I | IV | I | V7. If this is confusing, don't listen to me, try the theory vids above.

Instead of using the pentatonic scale for theory, use the Major scale. As you noted, all chords come from the scales; hence the term "the harmonized scale". The major scale has three major chords, three minor chords and a diminished chord, and in roman numerals, we can express them as I ii iii IV V vi vii <- the vii is diminished. The html scrubber keeps kicking out the degree symbol (ascii 248).

As far as hearing chords, try Matt Brown's series on ear training: http://members.jamplay.com/guitar/ph...ith-matt-brown
    He starts off with hearing major and minor chords and goes through to hearing progressions.

I hope that helps,
    Good luck in you study of theory,
    Gamma
    Last edited by gammasign; 06-23-2015 at 05:14 PM. Reason: missed a question

Premium Member

Thanks Gamma.. Much appreciated ..

Premium Member

Hi Kingpinned, The questions you've asked here are pretty big topics. But a good starting way to use intervals is to learn how chords are made, so that you can name chords when you know what notes are being played, and also so that you can play any chord once you know it's name, and understand the nature of the chord, how that chord might be used, and what it's going to sound like. For example, every major chord will have a major 3rd, and also a perfect 5th in the chord from the root. That will tell you what the notes are in that chord.

But intervals will also help you to understand the construction of different scales. They also help you to read music notation, since it's faster sometimes to just look at the interval to find the next note, rather than think of the note name. It also helps you to spot chords when you see them written as dots in standard notation.

Intervals also help you with ear training to figure out songs by ear, since you can eventually learn to recognize intervals when you hear them and then you can translate that to notes on your guitar.

To figure out chords for a song, I first would determine the key of the song by just trying to hum the note that stand out to your ear, which is usually the tonal center. That will be the key, and then the chords will usually just be chords that harmonize with that scale. Each scale note will have a chord that fits to that note.

Premium Member

Great topic, with good information.
    Thanks!

Premium Member

Hey burgess im looking for some more help ..(Sorry if i sounded like im talking about high level stuff, anyway) Just want to know :

- Im very good at figuring out the scales of any song like the minor pentatonics- well i can figure em out with ease. Also i can find the Ionian or major scale sometimes .. So will the ionian mode give me the key ? Like if i get a F major scale or Fionian will the key be F? Once i think i got an A Mixolydian , will the key be D or will it be A ? What do i have to do , ? This is necessary coz when i get the key i get the chords .. i think this is important..

Ya intervals are important that way .. cool.. (What about the bassline? How do u use it any clue?)

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by kingpinned89 View Post
    Hey burgess im looking for some more help ..(Sorry if i sounded like im talking about high level stuff, anyway) Just want to know :

- Im very good at figuring out the scales of any song like the minor pentatonics- well i can figure em out with ease. Also i can find the Ionian or major scale sometimes .. So will the ionian mode give me the key ? Like if i get a F major scale or Fionian will the key be F? Once i think i got an A Mixolydian , will the key be D or will it be A ? What do i have to do , ? This is necessary coz when i get the key i get the chords .. i think this is important..

Ya intervals are important that way .. cool.. (What about the bassline? How do u use it any clue?)
    Yes, if you determine the scale to be F ionian, then the key would be F. I don't know the answer to the second question that you have about mixolydian. Certainly the key signature would be D.

By far the easiest way to determine the key is to just start humming a tone that seems to stand out when you hear the song. Most of the time that will be the key.

I play bass guitar, so as far as your bass guitar question, I can tell you that most of the time the bass guitarist is playing the root of the chord, or the fifth, or the root, third and fifth as an arpeggio. But most of the time the root or fifth will sound good, so that should also give you some information about the chords.

Premium Member

Thanks again for the help GB .. Like i said i can figure out scales especially the MinPent's with ease ... I think as regards the Mixo the key should be mostly D .. I just wanted to know the circumstances which would make the key A .. I hope i can find that out ..

Premium Member

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by kingpinned89 View Post
    Thanks again for the help GB .. Like i said i can figure out scales especially the MinPent's with ease ... I think as regards the Mixo the key should be mostly D .. I just wanted to know the circumstances which would make the key A .. I hope i can find that out ..
    You would normally call a key A if the scale was: A B C# D, E, F#, G#. The tonal center would be A.