Premium Member

Default What scale is this?

The notes are: Ab Bb C Db Eb Fb Gb

You'll notice the first five notes are the major scale. The next three notes look like they are from the natural minor.

It has a Mixolydian sound with the b7.

Anybody know what the scale is called? Any musical examples would be appreciated, too.

Thanks,
    Gamma

Premium Member

I don't know what to call it, but it looks like a relative of the melodic minor scale starting on the 5th degree of the scale. melodic minor = WhWWWWh, Starting from the 5th degree would be this one WWhWhWW. Comparing it to the major scale it would look like 1 2 3 4 b5 b6 b7. I don't know if any of this helps.

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by bennie357 View Post
    I don't know what to call it, but it looks like a relative of the melodic minor scale starting on the 5th degree of the scale. melodic minor = WhWWWWh, Starting from the 5th degree would be this one WWhWhWW. Comparing it to the major scale it would look like 1 2 3 4 b5 b6 b7. I don't know if any of this helps.
    Yep. A mode of the melodic minor sounds right to me. Thanks Bennie!

Have a good day,
    Gamma

Mixolydian b6. Also known as Db melodic minor which is just the Db major scale with a lowered 3rd degree. Everything is pretty much the major scale with one note moved or notes removed.