Premium Member

Smile First DAW suggestions + What to get for a home recording studio?

Hello everyone

I'm looking into recording my classical guitar (and acoustic in the future)
    And I was wondering what DAW should I pick (there are so many, and they look so confusing lol)
    I'm looking into Studio One

Here's my Home Recording Studio list

Audio Interface (any suggestions?)
    2 microphones (MXL 990/991) (got it already)
    2 mic stands (got them)
    Mic cables (got them)
    Computer (yes, got it)
    DAW (suggestions?)
    Headphones (suggestions?)
    Studio Monitors (suggestions?)
    Pop Filters (got them)

My budget is not too cheap, and not too expensive

~Nicole

DAW: http://www.reaper.fm/ $60 for a personal/non-commercial license. Also the evaluation license is un-crippled.
    Last edited by chordbasher; 05-29-2015 at 02:36 AM. Reason: ytpo

Premium Member

I give my vote to Studio One Artist for a DAW, and either the AudioBox 22VSL or AudioBox 44VSL by Presonus as an audio interface (You get Studio One Artist free with the Presonus interfaces as well).

For DAW I like Mixcraft 6. It's a very simple DAW and cheap too. Lacks some capabilities of the higher end ones but I record my entire band with not problems using it. You will get a lot of other opionons on the DAW of choice. I think most of them are really good, just depends on what you really want to do with it and how you like to work. Mixcraft works for me because it's simple and the workflow feels really old school day of a mixing desk.

Premium Member

I've been where your at, and what I bought, not really cheap but not expensive,
    Audio Interface - Focusrite 2i2.
    DAW - Reaper
    Monitors - Rokit 5 Gen 3
    Headphones, Meze Headphones

I'm really liking this setup, hope this helps

Jim

Premium Member

My favorite product was from Cakewalk. It was called Home Studio. Of course that was 15 years ago. I would say any Cakewalk product would be pretty good, but I don't know for sure.

Some products come bundled with an interface. For example, I got a TASCAM 122mkII that came with CUbase LE all for about $150. Cubase LE works well with the TASCAM interface. This is what I use for now. I'm still learning the Cubase software. http://tascam.com/product/us-122mkii/

Of course, as I looked up the interface, it is no longer produced. http://tascam.com/product/us-2x2/ This is the replacement. It comes bundled with a Cakewalk product called Sonar X3 LE. These bundled software might work for what you want to do: record single track clasical guitar.

With the bundles, you don't get all the features that you would get with the paid stand alone versions, like Studio One.

I will say this about the TASCAM US-122mkll, it has a feedback loop/problem sometimes and the only way to get rid of the loop is to wait it out, or unplug. That problem could be specific to my setup. Don't know.

Hope this helps in your decision making,
    Gamma

Premium Member

I have to go with chefeam on this one. I purchased a Persons 22VSL for an interface and it works really well. I have upgraded the free Studio One Artist version over there last two years to the top Pro version. I have never had any complaints with this software and interface. The software has tonnes of extras that come with it also.

Premium Member

Thank you everyone for the suggestions!
    I will take them all to consideration