Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Fleshbits View Post
    There are a few guitar repair shops around town advertising re-fretting and such. Is it really that bad these days that one should expect fretwork on a new guitar?
    If so, I can always keep ordering until a fret is the only problem and then tell them I want $100 for fret work. You can only do that a couple times though before the fretboard needs more serious overhauling though, no? My last guitar was in the 80s and I haven't had much experience beyond being a giddy teenager taking something off the shelf in a pawn shop.
    Most of the time the entire fret or fret sections doesn't need to be replaced, a level and recrown will get the job done. I get the guy at GC told you they would order a new one. Likely he try to adjust the buzz out of it and couldn't do it with decent action. So the best thing for him to do is just get you a new one ordered. He may or may not have the skill to do a proper fret level and it's a fairly involvoed process to boot.

I don't have much faith in anything the repair guys at the big box stores says. That's what getting them to do a cheap one is about. Feeling them out, cause even some of the small time ones don't know what they are doing either. That's what the testing them out with an inexpensive guitar is all about and reference are for.

I get buying a new guitar the fret work s/b right but my experiece any more has been that is just not the case. I just count on having to pay some to get my guitars stage ready after I get them. For me that includes some upgrades like strap-locks, etc...

Premium Member

I order my guitars from Sweetwater.com, I get free FAST shipping and NO sales tax!! Holla at my boy Arron Smith (sales rep) at Sweetwater he will hook you up! I have ordered three guitars from Sweetwater and they all have been ready to go and in tune! I own the Schecter Banshee with passive p/u's in antique burst. That guitar by far is my favorite! You will like the Banshee, no doubt.

Last edited by ikiltnoobs; 05-08-2015 at 08:23 AM.

Premium Member

I know your intent was not to "bash" on any one company and not wanting to do that myself, I will say that I am most reluctant to order anything from Guitar Center ever again. Two BAD experiences is about all I will say. Also like you I received insturments that were beyond dirty...they were filthy, and terrible customer service too!
    Last edited by k5thbeatle; 09-07-2015 at 06:57 PM.

Premium Member

Sorry to hear about your bad experience at GC, I get what your saying about the customer service. It seems to me at least at my local GC they never have anything in stock as far as current "NEW" gear on the market, sure they have lots of older gear on the shelves and guitars on the walls. I had a good experience with GC as far as finding good deals on their used gear website, other than that I don't deal with GC anymore. Too me lack of current product and poor customer service is the reason GC is on it's way out of business.

Basic Member

Quote Originally Posted by ikiltnoobs View Post
    I order my guitars from Sweetwater.com, I get free FAST shipping and NO sales tax!! Holla at my boy Arron Smith (sales rep) at Sweetwater he will hook you up! I have ordered three guitars from Sweetwater and they all have been ready to go and in tune! I own the Schecter Banshee with passive p/u's in antique burst. That guitar by far is my favorite! You will like the Banshee, no doubt.

I definitely echo the Sweetwater experience. Bought a new Fender American Standard Tele from them last summer, and it arrived right away, beautifully set up, ready to play, and they throw in a 2 year warranty (double the manufacturer). Bought a Fender 65 Princeton Reverb a couple months later and had the same great experience. My own, and yours may be different, but may be woth checking out.

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by Fleshbits View Post
    Where do you guys get your guitar? What's your process?

I did research and found the make and model I want. I decided on a Jackson Kelly. I looked up Jackson's website and authorized dealers. The only one listed was Guitar Center here in Austin, TX. So, I go down to the store. The only guitars on their shelves are all the cheap $99 - $300 guitars. I have to order the Kelly online. So, I give the guy my credit card and patiently wait a week.

I go down to the shop all excited to get my new guitar and play with it over the weekend. The store employee pulls it out of the shipping box and I ask him to let me inspect it. It wasn't even setup, so I ask him for some alan wrench and spend 30 minutes setting it up and another 30 playing it. I find that it has a bad fret that buzzes. He hands it off to their guitar tech, telling me that they are doing me a favor and usually charge $70 to setup a guitar. I respond, "Well, I usually buy guitars that work..." After waiting an hour, they come back to me and tell me the fret is bad. I'll have to order a new one. They offer to let me take that one home while I wait, but then prompt me for another $750, to which I decline.

I anxiously wait another week, not as excited, because I half way expect something to go wrong. Sure enough, I go to the store again. They take it out of the box when I arrive. I immediately notice the guitar is filthy dirty. I ask them for some polish and a polish rag...and of course some alan wrenches. It isn't even tuned, the strings are just hanging off. After polishing I notice several scratches and scuffs. The back plate looks like a wood pecker got a hold of it. Not only that, but I find another bad fret.

I tell them to refund my money. So, two weeks waiting and 5 hours at the store and I've got nothing.

I am hesitant to order another one. I don't know if it is Guitar Center or Jackson who has the crap shipping and low quality control. I was also looking at A Schecter Banshee online, but would have to try it hands on. It seems like any guitar over $500 is going to require online ordering. All of these manufacturer sites list Guitar Center only for 200 square miles. You'd think being in "The music capital" here in Austin TX, there would be more options.

If I amazon, ebay, etc. I imagine it would be even more of a hassle if I get one that's flawed.

What should I do?
    Wow!!!...your experience is almost EXACTLY what my experience was with Guitar Center! I mean almost to the tee except that mine was a different guitar. I NEVER buy from Guitar Center!!! NEVER!!! The guy at my store opened the guitar from the case and didn't notice that the latches were not all secure and I literally made a diving grab to catch it and save it from hitting the floor. The guy didn't even say 'sorry". Then on looking at it, it was covered with grimy hand prints all over. Not just hand prints you had to hold in the light to see but greasy grimey hand prints ALL over! At this point I could see on the salesman's face that he saw this but was hoping I didn't. You would have almost have had to been blind not to see. The guitar of course was not set up at all correctly ( i know and realize guitars are sent out of tune for shipping reasons). We tuned it up and it was like a buzz machine. Intonnation all completely wrong and totally not set right. Lol, they wanted to charge me to set it up!!! My advice for all here is do NOT buy from Guitar Centers!!! They are a large corporate dealership who cares "nada" about the customer and their products. RUN AWAY!!! I went to Sweetwater and they are night and day compared to Guitar Center. Just my 2 cents but this is actually based on several encounters with both.
    Last edited by k5thbeatle; 03-28-2017 at 09:48 PM.

Premium Member

+1 on Sweetwater. They have been my go-to source for gear for years and I have never once been disappointed. With regards to a shop in Austin...you can not beat South Austin Music on Lamar. Their guitar tech is outstanding.

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by DaGrip View Post
    +1 on Sweetwater. They have been my go-to source for gear for years and I have never once been disappointed. With regards to a shop in Austin...you can not beat South Austin Music on Lamar. Their guitar tech is outstanding.
    Sweet has Jackson Kelly: http://www.sweetwater.com/c590--Soli...siS2VsbHkiXX19

They are the best to deal with for sure. Hands down. Ask your sales rep for them to give it a look over before they ship. They will do free of charge. Plus they have in house warranty free so you don't have to hassle with the manufacturer. I bet you 90% of all Jamplay members will recommend Sweetwater.

Edit: Plus, you can special order through them even if they don't have the exact model you want. Only thing is, you can't get a refund on the purchase. If you buy one from stock, you can. They just rock.
    Last edited by Patrick419; 12-17-2016 at 04:11 PM.

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by DaGrip View Post
    Nothing but great things to say about Sweetwater.

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by poolie727 View Post
    Nothing but great things to say about Sweetwater.
    For real..... We ought to get a jamplay discount there! I know my christmas present (compressor mic and interface) is coming from there and the person who is getting it for me was all about plugging jamplay and hearing about sweetwater from jp!! Nothing but great experiences myself - even when I didn't end up buying something from them! And free shipping most of the time.......