Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Premium Member

Default Amplifier conundrums

So I have an electric guitar on layaway, and I'm looking to what kind of amp to get for it. I have some time but I want to make an intelligent choice. Something good that won't break the bank as I'm on a limited budget. I used to have a G-Dec 3, and I loved it, but they don't make them any more. Any suggestions?

Thanks!
    Russell

Premium Member

Great question! Everyone will share an opinion. I suggest you do a search of the forum. Type in like best home amp or best small amp, best amp for the price. Look at some of the answers given and then check them out on the net or at the store.

Premium Member

Actually, I am probably kind of an exception to the rule. While I am mediocre in my skill, I play in our Church every Sunday, and then at other events when necessary. I'm the only musician in our small Church. I'm also attempting to get musicians to practice with me with an eye on the future for forming a band. (Way in the future!) I need something that can be used in groups of up to 300 people. That way, I know I have enough amp to grow with. But I will take your advice and look on the forum and see what is there!
    Thanks!

Premium Member

If you liked the G-Dec, you should look at the Fender Mustang III or Mustang IV. They have plenty of power to use for gigs. You can also look at the Peavey Vypyr VIP 3. All three of these are good for practice amps and are all gig worthy.

Well you have three types of amps to narrow it down to.
    All Tube amps. - IMO usually the best amps but pricer and these usually have 1 or 2 channels on them for a clean tone and dirty type tone. While they are usually pricery there are some to be had that are really good that won't break the bank.

Soild State amps - Usually the least desired but fairly inexpesive and there have been some exceptions over the years. Roland JC-120 comes to mind a s and outstanding Solid state amp. But many in this category are not all that great. Althought they are very very reliable.

Modelling Amps - These use software to model on the sound of classic amps. They are typically solid state on the amplification side but often do sound very good. The Fender Mustang series chefeam meantion I would agree on. I've test run some of those and they are sound good. The Line6 Amplifi series as well as the Peavey Vypry and Vox makes one as well.

From there you have to decide what you like best and can afford. For playing a chruch setting a single 12 speaker with around 25 to 50 watts should give you pretty good volume. If you like really clean tones you might want a 100 watt amp instead, 100 watt head is really loud and not needed for small room but if you want really clean tone you want a lot of headroom on the amp. If you like your clean channel with a slight bit of grit in then a lower wattage amp will suit you better. Of course a 2 12 cab will be a bit louder as well if you need a bit more. And of course all this can be different from one amp manufator or even model to the next, but some general guide lines to think about while you search for you amp.

Premium Member

I have to vote for the Mustang III or IV. Currently I have a Mustang I and a III along with a Fender Twin Reverb (Tube Amp). I find that 90% of there time I use there Mustang III as it has plenty of volume and lots of flexibility in how I can tweek the sound. A Mustang IV would be great if it's in your price range otherwise the Mustang III is pretty affordable at $329 street pricing.

Premium Member

WOW! More great advice! I'll look into it some more now that I have some brand names to go by. I remember seeing some of the Mustang Amps at the Music Center in Kenosha Wisconsin. I don't remember which ones. The reason I liked the G Dec 3 is it had a bunch of different sounds built in, and it also had 105 built in loops for practicing. All the looped music was high quality stuff. It also had the capability to go to a website and get more effects and backtrack loops. But in reality, now that I found JamPlay I have all the backtrack loops I need! I still don't understand why they discontinued the G-DEC line! Oh well!

Thanks for the info, Guys!

Premium Member

I like the new BEAM amp line from Blackstar Amplification, it is a "jack of all trades amp" and very reasonably priced.

SWEETWATER.COM PRICE
    Blackstar BEAM Amp.jpg

Premium Member

Ikiltnoobs, You've given me another great choice to make my decision from. Also, Being the only musician in the Church, I found something on the video right after the video of the Blackstar amp that may be just the ticket. It's a Digitech Trio band creator. I'm going to look into that as well!

Thanks for the info!

Russell

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by RSnell00 View Post
    Ikiltnoobs, You've given me another great choice to make my decision from. Also, Being the only musician in the Church, I found something on the video right after the video of the Blackstar amp that may be just the ticket. It's a Digitech Trio band creator. I'm going to look into that as well!

Thanks for the info!

Russell
    Your welcome Russell, yes the Digitech Trio is just now coming to market since it's 2015 winter NAMM debut. I might grab one of them myself, it is a very interesting pedal to say the least. Below is one of my favorite Youtube celebs demoing the Trio.

SWEETWATER PRICE
    Trio.jpg

P.S. I just noticed he is wearing a Sweetwater t-shirt in the demo video, lol. That is purely coincidental, TTK does not work for Sweetwater and gives people straight up honest reviews.
    Last edited by ikiltnoobs; 04-27-2015 at 04:45 AM.